Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NJ Botanical Gardens Plant Shop of Hillsborough NJ

Posted by svetlana0915 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 1, 06 at 20:48

I would like to know what kind of shop this was? Did the owners sell to the public or was it wholesale only? Does anyone know how long they have been in business and if so, were they a busy store? If anyone has any information on this business or operation, I would appreciate it. My father and I are looking for a garden center/farm stand to buy. We have been displaced from our previous home/farm stand of 35 years in West Caldwell because the owners decided to sell to developers (hmmm! Go figure). Since we have been informed that this property is for sale we would like any information on it.
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NJ Botanical Gardens Plant Shop of Hillsborough NJ

We used to frequent this nursery often. It was run by an old gent who I believe died of cancer 2 years ago. His wife tried to run the business the next year but decided it was too much work and closed the nursery.

It was open to the public. He had a tremendous selection of hundreds of different kinds of prennials sold very cheaply in small 1 - 1 1/2" pots. When we first went 8-10 years ago they sold for about 59 cents and toward the end it was 99 cents or more for the littlest pots. Of course the bigger pots 4" were about 4.99 -5.99 and up. Still a bargain for unusual plants. Apparently he grew all the prennials from seed but later as his health must have been failing he bought them from a wholesale grower. He took a liking to us and showed his propagating greenhouses with thousands of tiny plants.

He also sold annuals and veggies. He had a great selection of unusual hot peppers and tomatoes.

We bought many unusual plants from him, not the usual run of the mill plants everyone sells. He will be missed. We couldn't wait for them to open in the Spring.

I hope you do buy or lease the operation and offer the great selection of plants he offered. Best of luck to you.

o

Hard to imagine that it will fetch the price they are asking with those pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to property

o

They were around for years and years, a Somerset County tradition. Key to their shop was sheer endless variety and cheap cheap prices. When the tomato room would open it was standing room only. He had heirloom seedlings you couldn't find anyplac else, all for $.99 cents a pop.

Here's a link to a previous thread on the place along with some great info on the old owner- a man named Cliff Tine, who was as charasmatic as he was eccentric.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/njgard/msg021200067515.html?20

Here is a link that might be useful: Cliff Tine

o

To all who have responded to my posting, Thank You very much. All the information that you all have given me as well as the links are very helpful. Thanks again and happy holidays!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here