Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
classytchr64

New Jersey Flower & Garden Show

classytchr64
16 years ago

I'm a newbie and saw that this show is coming up in Feb. Has anyone attended it in the past and what did you think? Worthwhile for a newbie gardener? How about for an experienced gardener? (I was thinking about getting tickets for myself and a friend - she is an experienced gardener).

Thanks,

Leslie

Comments (8)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

It's not Philadelphia but it is a descent sized show and they do have a few competitions. I liked it. I am probably going to go again.

• classytchr64
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Loretta. I'm hoping Diane NJ will see this post -- I found the link to the show from one of her older posts about her Rose Society's flower show. As a newbie gardener and being new to this forum, I have to add that NJ gardeners rock. I've learned so much from lurking on this forum, and the people are so helpful.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Hi! I have a new job and no longer have the flexibility to take off so I won't be there all of the time, but the Jersey Shore RS will again have a table at the show, and I'll be there Thurs & Fri evenings and all of Saturday and Sunday.

• classytchr64
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for responding, Diane. I've read so many of your thoughtful responses to people's questions. I'll definitely plan on going in Feb. I teach school, so I would be going either at night or on the weekend anyway. Something fun to look forward to in the depths of winter. :o)
    Leslie

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

FYI, the show is this weekend. For you rose growers, there will be a very distinguished set of Consulting Rosarians staffing the Jersey Shore Rose Society table during the day on Thursday and Friday. The rest of the time you get me (!). Anyway, stop by and introduce yourselves, even if you don't grow roses!

• classytchr64
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I encourage everybody to go to the show to support our fellow gardeners. I met Dianenj, whose just as warm and kind in person as she comes through in her posts. Both she and Nicknj were "personing" the Jersey Shore Rose Society table. There were a number of interesting competitions (flower arranging, table setting, wreaths, miniatures, etc.), not too much to see as far as large displays by garden centers/landscapers, but plenty of informative tables set up around the edges of the vendors, and some great vendors. I spent the majority of my money at Greg's Antiques on garden structures made of metal. I bought an arbor, two lovely huge trellises with birds/leaves for only $69 each. Very, very reasonable prices-they're from Ohio. A winery offering tastings there as well . mmm! Leslie

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

It was nice to meet you Leslie! Good to see Loretta again, and to meet Diane (agardenstateofmind). I was exhausted by Sunday evening, but it is always a lot of fun. I somehow missed the winery table!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Long day for you, Diane! It was nice to see you again. There was a long line at the winery table and then I thought it would just make me sleepy. Was it good?
    I thought the traffic and displays were up from last year for sure. I did notice a lot of vendors did not return but there were many more to take their place. Anyway, Atlock was there and had my begonias, so I was happy! It would be nice to see some more societies represented. The displays definitely were more elaborate but some overuse of daffodils and tulips, I thought. I guess we all can't afford to ship plants in from California in the middle of winter. I was impressed with the Rutgers students who did a fantastic job with their design and plantings and the companies that supported them. There were also some very nice artisans.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations