Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Austin Roses

Posted by silverkelt Z5/Maine (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 5, 06 at 8:45

Good Morning Everyone,

I will be attempting a austin rose patch this spring. What would do well in a zone 5? Its in a full sun location, well drained.

Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Austin Roses

I grow Golden Celebration, Pat Austin, Abraham Darby and a few other English or old fashioned roses. They absolutely require winter protection. I mound about 12 inches of peat moss on top of them and then cover then with thermal blankets. They don't get as full and bushy as they do in warmer zones. Sometimes I plant three in a triangle to compensate for our shorter growing season.

o

Hi Silverkelt...

I live in the same zone as yourself. The following roses all thrive wonderfully:-
Austin roses, Explorer roses, Rugosa roses,Buck roses, Park roses.
So as you can see...... a wide variety. Even the more tender also grow well here...they simply require some winter covering..ie conifer boughs.

o

I grew Abe Darby back in Wisconsin. I didn't give him winter protection so he had severe cane winter kill by the time spring came. But once the soil warmed up he bounced back. Heritage and Mary Rose are 2 other Austins that are pretty hardy. Most yellow Austins like Graham Thomas are not all that hardy and need winter protection.

o

Hi!

Just joined. So glad to hear discussion on Austin roses as they are my favorite. Many of them are fragrant. Most of mine have survived even though I am Zone 3. Must be protected; and if you can pile snow on them so much the better.

As well, have seen no diseases on mine!

These are the ones I have, and just love!

Winchester Cathedral, Abraham Darby, Graham Thomas. LD Braithwaite.

o

I have Wife of Bath, The Reeve, Alexandra, Heritage, Mary Rose and live in zone 4. Site and protection are important as I have also had to replace a number of these.

o

I had Wenlock come through one winter for me, but it was planted in a low spot and drowned the next spring. It was a beautiful rose and the scent was to die for. May have to try it again sometime in a better location. Graham Thomas didn't make it through one winter here, even with protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here