Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tamerisk pink cascade

Posted by helen01 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 08 at 10:14

I live in Northern Ontario
Z2B but I sucsessfully grow z5 due to heavy snow cover. My question is can I safley plant the Tamerisk Pink Cascade without causing a problem in my garden or the native landscape. I was in Utah last year and saw the devastation on the banks of the green river. The Tamerisk has completely taken over everything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tamerisk pink cascade

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 20, 08 at 19:19

I have a tamarisk, planted as a 1-gallon container about 3-4 years ago. I don't know if it's Pink Cascade or Summer Glow. Although it's healthy and grows just fine every year, I have not yet seen it bloom. By the end of the season last year it had reached about 3.5' in height. It has not suckered and so far has kept a narrow, upright shape. It gets cut back severely each spring as soon as I see some buds starting, which are generally only from below the snow line.

I have a number of shrubs and perennials in close proximity and have not had anything troubled by the tamarisk.

I've read that it is not invasive in a very cold climate.

o

I really think there isn't any chance this plant would ever become invasive in your area. I live in Zone 3 and am happy if I can get it to winter. It dies back and then tries very hard to get going but the cold weather always comes before it does much.So it's back to square one next year.

o

Zone 5 and I don't think it will ever get invasive here either.
It isn't a real speedy grower but I love the foliage.

I have read that the plant can be burned, cut and still root.
I am using rooting hormone on nice not-burned cuttings, and all kinds of tender care and am getting about 2 out of 3 to strike roots.

Worth a try if you want to grow more...

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here