Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billclaudie

Dieffenbachia ...

billclaudie
20 years ago

We have a dieffenbachia that has a mottled lokk to the leaves. I've recently moved it to a south facing window for direct sun. Is this going to be a problem?

Bill of billclaudie.

Comments (8)

• durte4
    20 years ago

What kind of mottled look is it Bill? Greenish Yellow? It may be getting to much water or to little sun or a combination of both. They also drop their bottom leaves as they age.

• Condo_Jungle
    20 years ago

I've also got an older dieffenbachia that has lost all it's leaves. New shoots pop out and then after a few weeks the begin to turn brown and die. It gets indirect southern light and is watered weekly. She's almost a gonner!

• sandur
    20 years ago

This plant needs indirect sun light, I had mine in our front window which got all the afternoon sun and heat and it wasn't growing that fast now its by a north window that faces our neighbours house and it has doubled in size and is thriving. Try moving yours and watering it less but the same durations and see if yours does a turn around!!!!

GOOD LUCK,
    Sandur

• nanatina
    20 years ago

I agree with Sandur - indirect bright light is best. Condo jungle if the old leaves have all fallen off and the new leaves are dying off so quickly I would be checking for spider mites on the undersides of the leaves. Although I know it is common, the bottom leaves on my deiffs rarely die off. Tina

• billclaudie
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I moved Dieff the Chief to an east facing window out of direct sun light and it seems to be quite content now.The yellowish green leaves are perked right up. It sets off the surrounding plants beautifully. The Dieff is in among a snake plant, ginger plant and an oleander of the white type.

Cheers
    Bill
    o/--)

• armcheese
    19 years ago

My Dieffenbachia is located by a window facing the south.
    The leaves are going yellow and brown at the tips and ends and the new leaves are spouting looking yellow and unheathly.
    I am very careful about the watering, so I don't think that is the problem.
    Could there be a mite problem, I haven't seen any?

Please help!

• tresbelle3
    18 years ago

I'm moving mine today to a cooler window. Mine are the same but, interestingly enough, the tips of leaves are brown and the new baby ones are curling up. Also, I think there ARE some spider mites!!! AHH! Any recommendations?????

Thanks for any thoughts........ : )

• geanettafoce7_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have had my plant for over 20 years and it has always thrived with no problems, now the bottom leaves are turning yelow and dropping off....I will spray for spider mite and see if that solves the problem Thank you

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area