Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rideaurambler

What is your most successful hybrid tomato?

RideauRambler
11 years ago

I am looking to plant a short season, resilient hybrid tomato. One that is big, prolific,tasty and won't succumb to the many diseases and challenges that get thrown at it.
Although I am an heirloom fanatic, I just want to know...what hybrid beefsteak-type tomato always comes through for you? All suggestions very welcome!

Comments (5)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Not a beefsteak, but my most dependable all-round tomato is Wisconsin 55. 78 days to maturity.

tj

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

It is not the variety so much as the way they are grown. 4 years ago we tried something new to battle verticillium wilt on our tomatoes. This had been going on for 3 or 4 years and we tried lots of things to get rid of it. It would start at the bottom and work it's way up the plant and we got very few tomatoes. It was caused by water splashing on the ground and on to the bottom leaves carrying the fungus spores with it.

4 years ago we tried red cedar mulch. The red one because tomatoes are supposed to grow better in red soil according to the experts. We spread it under the plants and brought it out as far as the leaves would grow. It worked wonderfully well and we got a good crop. The next year we did the same and that year we had very dry weather yet the tomatoes did well. Because they were mulched they retained moisture around the plants so there was no dry and wet cycle. We have mulched every year since then and have had good crops. Our stand by variety is bush beefstake.

If you want heirloom varieties my son swears by Cherokee purple. He says they are the best he's ever tasted. He also grows Brandywine.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I'm going to try grafted tomatoes this year. It's worked for trees for a long time, and makes sense. So it doesn't matter vareity as the rootstock is hardy and highly disease resistant. I also grew some from seed, but still want to find something that will produce as much as possible with as few as possible plants.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

My most successful was Early Cascade with clusters of well-flavored, tennis ball or slightly larger sized fruit on indeterminate plants. The grower discontinued it and we haven't found anything that comes even close in terms of long season, good fruiting in poor weather, crack resistance, excellent flavor, and disease resistance. So I am hoping for some good suggestions here.

Tsuga - Is WI 55 indeterminate or determinate, and where is your source? Thanks.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

I used to grow them from seed, I forget where I got them. When a local nursery started carrying them I got lazy and just buy small plants (I bought some yesterday) pot them up and put them out in late May. Chef Jeff is the grower and its an indeterminate.

tj

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz