Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit trees for zone 2/3 90 day growing

Posted by puttingaround z3/4WA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 2, 06 at 17:26

Getting ready to put in a small orchard on our Eastern WA place. The catch is the 90 day growing season, and that is not consecutive! In a nasty winter, we can be zone 2- generally zone 3. Found a website for Edible Landscaping and St Lawrence Nursery that look good- can anyone suggest apple varieties that have done well in this type of climate? Have gardened here for 10 years, also have an old apple tree in our present yard- but do not know the name. How about apricots and plums? Not many have them around- have been looking at Canadian nurseries to get names of trees- anyone successful in raising stone fruits in a climate like this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit trees for zone 2/3 90 day growing

I think there might be something in this other forum;
Far_North forum
Konrad lives around Edmonton and as far as apples are concerned has listed ripening dates on some. Look at the early ones, maybe Lawrence sells those.

The future might hold some promise for better tasting stone fruits, check here for example;
plum

I am excited to eat some test cherries from Saskatchewan some day. The newer ones are bred back to tasty Hungarian pie cherries.

o
RE: Fruit trees for zone 2/3 90 day growing

For apples, the Honeycrisp has generated a lot of excitement for northern growers (it's rated Z3 - Z5). It's definitely one of my favorite apples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeycrisp apple

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here