Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering Trees

Posted by AutumnSunRising 4a-4b (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 18:30

Wanted to know if I can grow flowering dogwoods, yoshino cherry trees, pink flowering almond tree, and red bud alba. There are others, but can't find 'em right now lol.

But would like to know if I can grow these successfully in my zones.

Thanks Jae

PS, how do I add stuff to my journal and wish lists and such?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering Trees

It's quite hard to give general advice about zone-pushing (or zone denial) without more specifics about your location. Where are you and how long is your growing season? Are you in an exposed location?

Very generally, it seems that you're pretty marginal for all of your listed species. Flowering dogwood survives as far north as Ottawa (zone 5-ish), but it's very likely that low temps will kill off most or all of the bracts (no showy 'flowers'). Redbud is equally iffy.

There are, however, a number of lovely flowering trees that will survive (and maybe thrive) in zone 4. Black locust is really underplanted, and it puts on an amazing display every June. American linden (and many of its hybrids) has an amazing fragrance, and is well worth a look. And, while I'm never a fan of invasive foreigners, I have to admit that I love the smell of Amur maple when in flower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here