Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canadian Companies

Posted by posieh 3 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 19:41

I'd like to find a Canadian company who would ship plants or shrubs to the states. Some will ship seeds but not live plants. Appreciate your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canadian Companies

I don't think you will find one for the same reason we can't ship plants and shrubs and trees from the States into Canada.

Plants and shrubs may carry diseases--soil and plant and insects as well as weed seeds into the host country so they are strictly controlled. You have only got to look around you to see such things that have come in from other countries to see the wisdom of this.

It is much easier for a grower to import seeds and grow their own plants if they want a specific plant.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 8:08

I don't know of any Canadian company that ships to the U.S. William Dam used to but due to export regulations they don't anymore. They recommend Johnny's Seeds in Maine. Hope this helps.

o

Thanks for your help.

o

I am not sure but possibly Richters does ship live plants Mostly herbs to the U.S.
not sure about that but possibly

o

I think I ordered at least one herb plant from Richter's, but it was 4 or 5 years ago.

o
Fraser's?

I think Fraser's Thimble Farm ships to the States - I've seen prices for certification and other such services on their order form.

o

Did you try Hortico from Waterdown ON? I believe they ship to the US - they specialize in roses but have lots of perennials, trees & shrubs as well, even woodland plants. They have a website you can check.

o

Companies like Richters have a facility in the States so they don't actually ship from Canada, but from their American store. That would be a good question to ask when you find a company that sells what you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here