Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan_dupuis

suggestions for buying online clematis

Joan Dupuis
19 years ago

I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis plants online. Would appreciate any suggestions from good sites. Have checked out Hortico in Ontario, looking for more to compare and search good variety. Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)

• cailinriley
    19 years ago

Hi, bloomorelse (love the name!). When judging value, make sure you're not comparing apples with oranges. For example, I've ordered various clematis from Gardenimport and from Hole's Greenhouse (near Edmonton AB). Gardenimport sent healthy, young plants in 4" pots. Hole's sent healthy, more mature plants in gallon containers. The plants were virtually the same price. All of the clematis grew well in my garden, with the Hole's selections blooming earlier. Of course, shipping costs are higher for larger containers. In case you're wondering, I chose to order the smaller plants because they were varieties I didn't find elsewhere.

Neither site has their complete catalogue online, yet, but you may find what you're looking for. I wouldn't hesitate to order from either company.

http://www.gardenimport.com/

http://www.holesonline.com/ordermail.asp

• marricgardens
    19 years ago

There is one in Harrow On. JDS gardens sells clematis among a few other plants. I believe their site is www.jdsgardens.com. If that doesn't work, try a google search for them. Hope this helps. marg

• jroot
    19 years ago

Be careful of that one, marric. I ordered from them last year, and the stock that arrived 3 out of 5 were very long and had been bent back in the packaging and broken. I had 2 that were in great shape, but only 1 made it through the summer. I tried to get in touch several times to ask about remedying the packaging problem, and the site was not attainable. Personally, I will not deal with them again. Someone else may have better luck.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the leads folks. Jroot, I've heard another gardener say they would never order from them again either, but wouldn't say what her problem was, so could be a warning for others. Thanks so much. I really want a Blue
    clematis. Preferably grp 3, but would try 2's as well. Many I like are grp 2, Those that interest me are Perle d'Azur, Rhapsody, General Sikorski, Ramona, HF Young ... can't remember others by name. HF Young is the only one I saw here locally last year, but they had a big sale and when I went back to get it, it was gone. May have to bite the bullet and pay full price when first available if I want to get it.

• marricgardens
    19 years ago

Thanks for the advice Jroot. I checked the Garden Watchdog site and JDS had mostly positive comments and only 1 negative. I had heard from others on this site that it was a good place to get clematis. After reading your post, maybe I'll just go there and check them out myself. Marg

• jason0360
    19 years ago

I just received a new catalog from Dominion Seed House in Ontario(www.dominion-seed-house.com) that has a huge selection of clematis. I have not ordered from them yet though.

• cailinriley
    19 years ago

Jason, I've ordered perennials from Dominion Seed House in the past and gotten very, very small plants. Most of their plants, I believe, are in 2 1/2 and 3-inch pots. I'd only order something from them if it was unavailable elsewhere and I just HAD to have it.

• Woody_Canada
    19 years ago

Where abouts in NB are you? Z4b sounds like northern NB...? If you're further south, have you ever been to Cornhill Nursery? I gather from friends who still live in that area that it's pretty good, although I think roses might be their big thing since the owner has a book out on them... Their web page has a few clematis listed but maybe they have more on location in spring or might be willing to order in what you want. Doesn't hurt to ask/check them out if you're in the area....

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornhill - vine page

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Woody Canada - I am from Moncton. And yes I have been to Cornhill as well. Maybe I was too late going in the season, but they didn't have much of a selection. I actually stopped at MacArthurs Nursery a couple of blocks from my place on my way home from work yesterday and asked them to see if they could get me a couple I was looking for. They said they'd order it, but didn't know if it would be available from the supplier (they didn't say who that was, and I didn't think to ask). Was just happy that they would order them for me. Will probably only find out in late April whether they will have them or not. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Bonus for me if they do, as I get the ones I want and won't have to order myself and pay shipping. If this fails, friends of ours are going to visit their brother (who is a gardener) in Ottawa in July, and I could have him scout the area for me so they could bring them back, as they are driving.

• Debapar
    9 years ago

I purchased 2 clematis from Home of Clematis and they arrived in about 4 days and were excellent. Great communications and advice. Check them out!

Here is a link that might be useful: HomeOfClematis

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Debapar just so you are aware this thread is nearly 10 years old... good link though.

SCG

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Have a feeling that post may be spam. The Clematis forum was bulldozed by a spammer the other day touting the same website. And all on very old posts. This poster showed up there the next day those posts were deleted by GW management. Suspicious........

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor