Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Quiet Place in January - Any rose recommendations?

jel48
19 years ago

Hi All, This is my first time visiting the 'northern gardening' forum and it looks like I picked a really really slow time of year :-)

I'm really not all that far north, zone 4 bordering on zone 3, but I've killed a lot of rose bushes in my time, because I'm not good at babying them for the winter. Does anyone have recommendations of hardy roses that don't take a lot of babying? It's time to start thinking about spring :-)

Comments (13)

• kerstin_swe
    19 years ago

Well you can take a look here I have a really cold climat zone :)Some are cultivated in pots -krukodling in SWe
    But I dont baby my outside roses either

Here is a link that might be useful: Some of my roses

• cailinriley
    19 years ago

Joyce, check out the Far North forum. Most of the members there garden in zones 4 and under. (And, we never seem to have a slow time of year!)

Kerstin, those roses are gorgeous. It's nice to see some that were bred in Canada in your garden! I'm tempted to try some Austen roses, but my garden is quite a bit colder than yours...and we have chinooks to complicate matters.

• kerstin_swe
    19 years ago

I love the Canadian roses and have a special album just for them

Here is a link that might be useful: canadian roses

• cailinriley
    19 years ago

What a collection you have, Kerstin! I have a few of the same. I especially love Winnipeg Parks, Adelaide Hoodless, John Davis and Morden Sunset. I also love William Baffin. I've been trying to grow it as a small climber, but the plant often gets winter die-back. The only Canadian rose I've tried that I'm not fond of is Martin Frobisher. It has gorgeous blooms and smells lovely, but the flowers look like wet tissue after a rain!! Too much deadheading required!

Joyce, any of the roses in Kerstin's Canadian album would grow well for you in your area.

• tom__alaska
    19 years ago

Check out alaskarosesociety.org for some hardy ones.
    Toom

• jel48
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you everyone! I'm working on my list and have several possibilities and have learned some interesting facts while doing my research. Like this for instance.....

Rosa acicularis, Species (1805). This is the rose found farthest north on the planet and is circumpolar in its range. Excellent in harsh, exposed sites, this rose has
    fragrant, purple-pink single blooms in spring, red hips in fall. Height varies from 3 to 7 feet.

Found farthest north on the planet! And it's a lovely rose too. I actually found a couple of photographs of it, very pretty.

I'm actully wanting to put in maybe 3 or 4 roses this spring, so the research continues.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa acicularis

• rivrats2
    19 years ago

Check out my web site Corine's Garden. I grow the Canadian shrub roses, rugosas. Also, some Griffith Bucks and a few David Austins which I protect and have kept for many years. -40 f is not uncommon here.

• gordonf
    19 years ago

I'd suggest Rosa glauca. It's a rugosa-type rose that grows about 5' tall and has the most beautiful, bluey-burgundy leaves and small but very pretty flowers in June. I've seen it doing very well west of Prince George, BC, in zone 2 or 3. Do a search for it online - it's a highly recommended variety. By the way, sometimes it's known as Rosa rubra (an older name).

• nnygardener
    19 years ago

Hi, I saw your post on roses, and just added this recommendation to the Northern Garden forum--try the roses on springvalleyroses.com. It gets to -30 here where I am, and the roses for zone 3 get through the winter just fine.

• abgardeneer
    19 years ago

Gordonf,
    Actually, Rosa glauca is synonymous with Rosa rubrifolia. It reaches well over 5' even here in chinook-prone zone 3, so I'd guess yours will get considerably bigger yet in Vancouver with time, LOL!
    There have been some recent and not-so-recent rose discussions in the Far North forum that may be of interest. If you read through the one linked here, you'll see some pictures of Rosa rubrifolia through the year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red-leaf rose

• abgardeneer
    19 years ago

Here is another hardy rose thread, with pictures, from the Far North forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: hardy roses

• tom__alaska
    19 years ago

The rosa accicularis is our wild rose. Grows everywhere. Another good site is the Canadian rose society. I second the High Country nursery. Very nice plants and people.

• kerstin_swe
    19 years ago

Rosa accicularis is also wild here :) Not very common,but can be found .

Sponsored