Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rugosa, elder and lilac

Posted by ofpill 5a - Ottawa (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 18, 05 at 22:26

I want to create a hedge screen that contains rugosa rosa and rugosa rosa alba, dwarf elderberry and lilac. Any issues to think about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rugosa, elder and lilac

Since no one has replied, I will give you my thoughts. I am not an expert, you may want to post on the shrubs forum , but these are my thoughts that come to mind...

Do you intend to place these three shrubs close enough together to form a solid screen?

Each type of shrub may have a different rate of growth, so the top of the 'hedge' may be uneven. Not saying it won't look nice, just want you to be aware of that. Unless, of course, you plan to trim annually to keep at a desired height.

Regarding the height, I assume this may be a lower type of hedge as you will have rugosa roses and dwarf elder?

Sounds like it's worth a try. All of the shrubs mentioned are pretty easy care, once established.

P.S. regarding the lilacs, if you are concerned about blooms, with lilacs you have to be careful what time of year you trim them in. Sounds like you may use a smaller lilac anyways, and not trim.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here