Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

fragrant plants for northern gardens

docmom_gw
19 years ago

I would like to increase the fragrance in my gardens. I have visited the Fragrant Forum but they all seem to be from zone 7 or warmer. I'm curious which plants are the favorite fragrant flowers of the cold-winter crowd. I have lilacs and lavender, and the house came with a privet hedge. What else would you recommend? TIA

Martha

Comments (40)

• luv2gro
    19 years ago

I'm doing the same thing this year, trying to increase the fragrance. I would love to have my backyard gardens smelling like gardenia or hyacinth for the whole season. But, my hardiest and most fragrant, so far, has been Stocks, Stocks and more Stocks. Matthiola "Evening Scented Stock" is one of my "always, must haves" because of it's wonderful fragrance in the late hours of the day. Matthiola is not particularly stunning as a flower, but it can be interspersed with other plants to give sortof a "baby's breath" appearance. Last year, I direct sowed them along my vegetable garden and had outstanding fragrance right up until cleanup in late Oct. The other stocks don't last that long, but I have quite often got a second flush of flowers by pruning off the first set, although not as spectacular.

Sweet peas, another favorite. Alyssum, Carnations, Dianthus, Nicotiana, Mirabilis, the annuals list is many. Perrennials, although I can think of a few, I better let someone with more experience answer. Datura, some Iris, Lupin and of course, roses are just a few that come to mind. But I'm just getting started with many perennials, myself. Oh, and one I'm looking for, Rose Daphne.

Shauna

• Video_Garden
    19 years ago

Evening Scented Stocks have an amazing, spicy, fragrance! Another strongly fragrant flower to grow in the northern garden are Oriental Lilies. There is also an ordinary, later blooming Hosta that is white flowering, and has a fragrance similar to jasmin blooms. Peonies come to mind as well...

• Glitter53
    19 years ago

Mmmmm..for me, nothing beats the scent of the StarGazer Lily! I've planted them in the front of our home and the scent just wafts into the kitchen and diningroom! Wish they lasted longer!!
    Just found this forum....nice to see someone else gardens in zones with numbers below 5! ;-D

• luv2gro
    19 years ago

How can I forget my favorite lilies. I totally forgot them. Casablanca & Stargazer are my favorites.

Shauna

• LauraBC
    19 years ago

When I lived in Sask, I loved the nicotiana and lilies for perfume, what about honeysuckle?? I'm not too sure how cold tolerant it is.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    19 years ago

I have a small area i'm planting for fragrance as well. And stocks are my favourites too. Someone gave me a couple of seedlings a few years ago, and just the few plants sent an incredible scent into the bedroom at night. Last year i planted some, but they weren't quite so scented, and it was a disappointment for sure.

Along with the stocks, i have phlox, dianthus, saponaria, carnations, and lots of lilies. This spring i'll be planting a peony there, and there's already a lilac at the far end of the bed. I've sometimes included baskets with heliotrope and nemesia in that area too.

Of all of these, the stocks are the best for "wafting" fragrance. The rest are kind of like "spot" scents.

• Video_Garden
    19 years ago

This was a big surprise last summer, I think that my Alpine Edelweiss emitted a very strong, pungeant, herbal, fragrance into the air when it bloomed for weeks. The scent travelled through the garden, and I was really confused as to what was creating the smell. (It smelled like 'cooking')At first I immediately thought it was the creeping thyme planted next to it but I smelled the flowers of the Edelweiss individually and believe it came from that small plant. Has anyone noticed it?

{{gwi:372235}}

I also find that Yellow Loosestrife (Lysimachia punctata), also emits a powerful scent in the spring?

• cornishpiskie
    19 years ago

I can't live without Lily of the Valley, I had drifts of it in my last garden and am cosseting a small clump I transplanted here in my new garden (zone 4).

• sherrie
    19 years ago

My favorites are Flowering crabs, Syringa vulgaris & prestoniae (extending bloom times) alba roses, any of the thymes, lavender, peonies, oriental lilies, phlox, monardas.....hmmmm, I'm just realizing I could have so much more if I would plant some annuals! Docmom, you would have way more possibilities being in a warmer zone....think of all those lovely (and smelly!) Austin & antique roses you could grow!! Year before last I had a smelly honeysuckle that was rated zone 5.....I forgot to mulch it and of course lost it. This year I will be adding a Linden tree, yum!

• diane_nny
    19 years ago

Dame's rocket (Hesperis matronalis), but it is considered invasive in some areas.

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks so much for all of the responses. Does anyone know the scientific name of Stocks? If you can believe it, I've never heard of stocks. Are they annuals? I had forgotten about lily of the valley. I had them "on the farm" as a child, but I guess they've gotten such a reputation as invasive that they aren't used as much. I'd love to have roses, but I have to be realistic about how much time I have to care for them. Hyacinths is another I'd forgotten. Too bad they only bloom in the sring. How long do sweet peas bloom? I think I'll give most of these ideas a try. That's the fun of gardening, isn't it? And a few of each here and there won't take up too much room.
    Thanks again,
    Martha

19 years ago

Stocks are Mathiola, and they're annual. I only grew sweet peas for the first time last year and didn't have much luck with them, but i'm trying again this year. There are annual and perennial sweet peas. I'm not sure if there's a different botanical name for either one, but i know that the perennial ones are Lathyrus (though my spelling may be off). The seeds i have for this year are annuals again, but i do want to try perennial ones in the future.

• luv2gro
    19 years ago

Marcia
    What happened that your sweet peas weren't successful? I've usually direct sown mine in my vegetable garden and grown them on a trellis. My seed has always in the past, just been anything that I picked up at Wal-Mart or wherever I was buying my veg. seeds at the time - nothing special, anyway.

Remember my thread on root trainers? Apparently, root trainers are especially good for sweet peas by allowing the roots to develop long and deep. They don't like to be transplanted but the root trainers are supposed to develop a better root system that allows the transplants to take. I wasn't going to use my root trainers for this because I've always grown them with no trouble by direct sow method. But, I'm wondering if it is because I put them in the veggie garden with looser soil to a deeper level.

I was looking at the perennial seeds this year, but decided against it because I like to be able to rotate where they go in the garden every year. I soak the seeds for a couple of hours or overnight, just like I do with my peas. Innoculant helps, too. Hope this might help. Their fragrance and colour make them so worthwhile having.

My dad used to surprise me when I was little by cutting a big bouquet of them and putting them in my room. I'd come home from school and it was so neat to walk into my room and have their delicious perfume filling the air. He did it all the time until I was too old to appreciate it anymore. It is one of those "memory" plantings for me that I just have to do every year.

Shauna

• northeastwisc
    19 years ago

If you grow any of your plants from seed, "The Fragrant Path" catalog has a nice selection of fragrant annuals and perennials. Their address is:

The Fragrant Path
    P. O. Box 328
    Fort Calhoun, NE 68023

Their catalog is $2 by mail. I don't think they have a website. They are a small operation, but they have a nice selection of seeds. Most of what they sell is hardy in the north.

19 years ago

Shauna, i think it was more the year than anything else. Last summer was not a good one for many things. I direct-sowed the sweet peas in two spots. One package was "Royal Family" (something like that) and the other was "O Canada" (supposed to have been red and white flowers). Some of them germinated, and some eventually bloomed, but only white ones from both packaged (weird, eh?!). I had trouble convincing them to grow up the trellises in both spots, too!

Anyway, they possibly didn't like being snowed heavily on in the middle of May, or the cool summer (though regular peas don't mind that. Shrug.) I'll be trying them again this year, bearing in mind the deeper soil that you said they seem to like. The spot i was thinking of may have to be dug up a bit then.

Nice sweet pea memory you have! :) I want to plant them because my mother said she always liked them but had no luck with them. She's turning 81 this April, and sweet peas are April's flower, so it would be nice to give her some this summer.

• luv2gro
    19 years ago

The "Royals" are usually really good. Try the soaking and the innoculant, too, and they should come better. I'm trying "Frangrantissima" from T&M.

I agree that last year was a rotten year for so much. I was thinking that I may be having some very serious problems in my "brand-new" garden - things like verticillium, fireblight and bacterial blight - but I have had a horticulturist tell me that it was simply the year and maybe some stress and to see what spring brings. Keep your fingers crossed for my baby trees and for all of us to have a more productive year.

I have a fragrant question, as these are new for me but I'm excited to be trying them. What does hesperis and saponaria smell like. Or are they even describable?

Shauna

• mary_rockland
    19 years ago

Hi,

I have loads of hesperis and the only thing that comes to mind is a rather sweet smell, similiar to stocks, but perhaps not as strong. Personally I've had it for years and don't find it at all invasive, especially since it can have such a long blooming period, but it does make a ton of seed. I am however, constantly removing invasive rose suckers from the area it grows in.

I can't say I've noticed my saponaria smelling like anything.

Another favourite smell for me is many of the petunias - like the daddy series. Blue daddy always seems to please. I also have a certain primula polyanthus that I grew out of a mixed package that smells rather like cherries and roses. Grape hyacinth flower to have an interesting almost orangy smell.

Mary

• luv2gro
    19 years ago

Can hesperis and saponaria be planted near a deck without making everyone nauseated from a strong scent? As much as I love stocks and lilies, I can't plant them near the deck because my DH starts gagging. Can you believe it? I have to go to my flower beds to smell my flowers up close. But this year, I have got so much that is fragrant, I think we will get an "overall" light fragrance throughout the yard. At least, that's my goal.

Shauna

19 years ago

I've had to get right down to the saponaria flowers to even smell them, so i don't think they'd be a big problem for your dh. Is he hyper-sensitive to scents, or does he just not like the smell?

Yes, petunias are another nice smell. I like the way a greenhouse smells when there are so many of them in there!

• luv2gro
    19 years ago

He just doesn't like the smell. One year, I brought in 34 CasaBlanca lilies and was so proud of my huge bouquet on the table. Can you imagine the price of that at the florists? Anyway, he came home from work and complained all week about the smell. He does the same if I bring in sweet peas or stocks or anything. He loves the smell of my colognes but just doesn't like the smell of flowers. Oh well, can't please him all of the time. LOL!

Shauna

• Video_Garden
    19 years ago

Luv2gro.... 34 Casa Blanca Lilies... & Indoors, can be quite traumatic on the senses. 8^)

• LAA668984
    19 years ago

I love stocks, but they never seem to do too well for me. I had nicotiana "eau de cologne" it was wonderful! Sweet Sultan is a really nice fragrance too. I have some peonies, the white ones especially, have a beautiful fragrance too. Many carnations and dianthus are quite fragrant. Lilacs and roses are always good. Hyacinths for the early spring, lilies of various kinds. I try to create a garden that offers fragrance and flowers for cutting.

• sheryl_ontario
    19 years ago

Tall Phlox is very fragrant. I had visitors comment on it constantly.

• Mcfrank
    19 years ago

Carol Mackie Daphne is tough as nails here in Montana where one day its 70, the next 17 and very little snow cover. The fragrance is fantastic, and the shrub is nice too. Look for heirloom narcissi; there are quite a few with great fragrance. I'm a huge fan of Nicotiana alata- I have some planted against the house in an east facing exposure, under the eaves. Many of the roots survive the winter, and the smell at night can't be beat. Reseed like crazy, too. Chocolate flower, Berlanderia, is not alot to look at, but truly smells like its name. Pretty little yellow flower. There are some columbine with fragrance, but I especially like the native chrysantha. Its pure yellow, gets quite tall, and will tolerate a bit of sun, even here. Mine bloom nearly all summer if deadheaded, and they smell lovely. Easy to grow from seed. Plant nepeta where you will brush against it, and like others have posted, don't forget the herbs, thyme, mint, lavendar, hyssop, santolina.......

• mkirkwag
    19 years ago

Evergreen clematis (Clematis armandii).

• rivrats2
    19 years ago

Most rugosa roses are very fragrant and very hardy. Blank Double de Coubert perfumes the whole garden on a calm. warm summer evening. Love them!!

• gordonf
    19 years ago

When I lived in Prince George, BC (zone 3) I found that the Spicy Lights series of azaleas did well and perfumed the entire garden when they bloomed. Also, tall garden phlox and petunias (especially the purple ones) were the smells of August for me. And don't forget pinks. Some are more fragrant than others so check before you buy.

• zone0bgardener
    19 years ago

Outside my living room windows I have a large bed with dianthus and phlox. All through July I have the sweet spicy smell of the dianthus and August is even nicer with the scent of phlox. They grow and spread well in my zone 0b garden so I have faith they'll do well for you , too.

• flowerblossom52
    19 years ago

We always have Evening Scented Stocks... I find that the white are more fragrant then the mauve...but harder to find. We also have LOTS of petuniea, and the deep purple are VERY fragrant, far more then the white, pink or any other color. Would LOVE to have Sweatpeas but I think I'm about the only person who CANNOT seem to grow them.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    19 years ago

It seems you've only gotten a few shrub suggestions. I grow some lovely roses that are both hardy and fragrant, but not all varieties are fragrant, so do some research or buy them in bloom. Burkwood viburnum has a gorgeous early spring scent, and many rhodies, including Rhododendron viscosum (swamp rhododendron) and at least some of its hybrids have nice scents. I bought several R. viscosums because at the Boston flower show one year their perfume drew me to them. Anything that can compete with the pervasive scent of cedar mulch at that show and still be lovely is just fine with me! All these plants have nice looking flowers as well and will grow for me where it gets to -22 F many winters.

I also always grow nicotiana by my front door and windows because I love the scent that wafts by in the late afternoon and evening.

• ludog15365
    18 years ago

Hi There,

I believe that I live in Zone 3 (Ottawa, ON). I planted Grandiflora roses var. "White Lightening", they put out non-stop blossoms with a heavenly scent from May until November! When the snow and frosts hit, there were still buds on the plants! The scent from these roses was strong and fabulous. (However, I put white styrofoam covers on them for the winter, and that apparently was a mistake. They didn't make it).
    We have honeysuckle taking over the garden, but it doesn't really scent at all, and the flowers are tiny. The stocks were amazing, comes back year after year.. I was told at "Richmond Nursery" that we cannot "get" the scented Nicotinias up here. Anyone know different?

• clairabelle
    18 years ago

I definitely agree about the tall white Nicotinia 'Sylvestris' annuals. Yes, ludog, you can get them up here (I can even send u some next spring) They grow really well from seed.

Another HEAVENLY PERFUMED annual (actually, you can overwinter the tubers and replant in spring) is Four O'Clocks (Mirabilis jalapa). Tall, sturdy stalks, several flower shades, drought+poor soil tolerant, who could ask for anything more? :) I've had the same tubers 6 years now and they are really generous with foliage, flowers, wonderful smell AND easy-to-pick seeds in the fall.

• sharons2
    18 years ago

There are annual and perennial sweet peas, but the perennial ones (Lathyrus latifolius) aren't very fragrant. I thought it would be when I got mine, but it's not.

For fragrance, you want to get the old-fashioned varieties of annual sweet peas (Lathyrus odoratus), as some of the newer varieties aren't very fragrant either.

Does anyone grow Mignonette (Reseda ororata)? It's supposed to be a homely little annual with a very sweet perfume, so it's good to tuck it in and hide it behind something prettier.

I like my lilacs, both the common variety and my 'Miss Kim'. The 'Miss Kim' begins flowering about when the other lilacs are done, so it extends the bloomtime by an extra 2 weeks. Hyacinth lilacs would bloom 2 weeks earlier than the common ones (vulgaris), but I don't know if they would be damaged by frost.

Many of the Mock Oranges are supposed to be fragrant, too.

Sharon

• tagzone5
    18 years ago

Someone sent me seeds of Father Cupani sweet peas. They look nice with reddish standards and bluish keels and smell great. I planted them late so they are just starting to flower now. Regal lilies smell great, so does Black Dragon strain, with even more flowers. I grew my regal lilies from seed and they were surprisingly easy. Any of the oriental lilies smell very strong, but I find them harder to grow. Hosta plantaginea and it's hybrids smell good. My friend has Guacamole which also has cool leaves. I can't smell most daylilies, but there's an early short species called Hemerocallis minor that smells good to me. I just got the old variety Hyperion, which I can smell a bit. Wish I could find more species. Phlox smell good to me. The peonies Myrtle Gentry and Vivid Rose are fragrant. The new corals don't smell so great to me. I second the opinion of rugosa roses, but mine have some gall wasps wrecking the plants. I'm always pinching bits of catmint, beebalm, achillea and lime scented geranium to sniff. Old fashioned lilacs are great, my Sensation lilac doesn't smell as strong. Does anyone grow moonflower?

• tagzone5
    18 years ago

Ooh, I forgot. Clematis Betty Corning. Not real strong, but, if you're standing in the right spot, just lovely. Also sweet autumn clematis is something to look forward to late in the year.

• tulips8
    18 years ago

I am trying to find a fragrant lavendar plant to grow in my new garden. This is my 2nd summer in the Northeast, and learning about all the "hardy" plants is exciting to me--I guess they promise me a bit of success. I have enjoyed reading all your entries, and thank you for all your expertise. I have had success growing sweet peas. The night before I stuck them in the ground, I wrapped the seeds up in a dampened paper towel, and placed it on top of the refrigerator. And they grew. (but this was in northern calif.) I remember smelling the mock orange as a child, and oh my gosh, 'twas lovely! Are there any tricks to growing peonies? I hope to adopt some next yr.

• madisonkathy
    18 years ago

No one's mentioned clethra alnifolia (summersweet). Mine perfumes the whole yard.

• janroze
    18 years ago

Did anyone mention Mockorange shrubs? Smaller than many lilacs and the Golden Mock. adds a diff color of foliage, is more floriferous and extremely fragrant.
    jan

• jannie
    18 years ago

Most herbs are fragrant.

• diggerb2
    18 years ago

I've planted a back corner of my yard with hosta plantagenia
    this week we came home from vaction and it's in bloom. I have 98 scapes on 16 plants in a 10x15 foot area hit me on a 90 degree day with hi humidity. In the spring the same area has 2 magnolias for scent-- one is a star mag the other is one of the 'little girls'-- either anne or jane.
    both smell great. I two weeks or so I have sweet autumn clematis on a trellis ready to bloom. It has a great vanilla like scent. another plant with a great vanilla like
    scent is milkweed-- mine is from some one's field so i don't know the type. Also hawthorne trees have a great scent--only lasts a few days in the spring and only if it's warm.
    you might try primroses, pansies and violas; peonies, tulips(some), iris, and daffodils; roses, lilacs, mock orange; lilies, daylilies(some), herbs--foliage, then annuals should be blooming, then hope for more lilies, hostas, and scented fall bloomers

I've found the best way to get 'scent' is to make sure the area is small/confined and gets enough sun to warm essential oils.

diggerb

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living