Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
inheriting a garden

Posted by rebaru z5 QC (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 10:48

i have been in my first home with a garden almost 10 years. I inherited: hedges, an avenue maple in the front ( :-( ), an apple tree in the back, a couple of lilacs, and .... well, the above plants i kept, and there weren't a lot of others. To a large extent I had a blank slate, which i was pleased about. BUT i wonder what it is like to inherit/buy a lovely garden, that yields surprises all through the first year of discovery, and inspires any new direction in the garden. any stories about that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: inheriting a garden

The first spring in my new home was pretty sad. Just enough tulips, rhubarb and a few mystery plants appeared, but I didn't know what direction to go. Would more things show up? If I start digging, would I damage a potentially grand display of something? Well, I waited and waited til I couldn't stand it any longer. Off to the garden center. Returned with a truck load of stuff and just took my chances! Turned out that nothing else ever popped out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Around the Yard

o
RE: inheriting a garden

how odd, your useful link.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here