Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peanuts in Chicago-Stop Laughing!

Posted by thecurious1 z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 06 at 11:56

Hi All- Dont ask what possessed me to attemp peanuts in Chicago. I guess I just got seduced by the verbiage in the Southern Exposure seed catalog. At any rate, now that you have stopped laughing, can you help me understand what I will need to get a small crop? I am only growing a five foot row. Outside of the routine soil ammendments of compost and compost tea, are there other things that peanuts need? Is full sun the only option? Are their companion plants that they grow well with? Should I start them in the house?

I'd appreciate any help,thanks again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peanuts in Chicago-Stop Laughing!

My mother use to grow them up here in Nova Scotia during the summer. That was years and years ago now, but I don't remember her doing anything special.

The peanuts develop like potatoes, below the soil, attached to the root of the plant. I believe they are rather heavy feeders, but if you provide them with full sun, fertilizer, well watered in soil that is not too heavy or compacted they should grow just fine for you.

If you have heavy clay soil like I do, try mixing in some peat moss and FRESH cat litter [or garage floor dry...which is what I use for cat litter, cheaper and works better. You can find it at any home depo/auto store] to break up the clay

Best of luck, let us know how you make out with 'em.

o
RE: Peanuts in Chicago-Stop Laughing!

Hi Curious - I grew peanuts years ago, near Ottawa,ON. I was on quite sandy soil, and watered a fair amount, but didn't do anything else too exciting. I was doing the whole organic, Harrowsmithy thing at the time. I am sure I got the seed from Stokes. They grew very well, and were yummy once I figured out how to roast them! They do grow a bit like potatoes, in that they develop underground, however: they send up flower stalks, which as they mature, bend to the earth (into my paths!!!) and the peanuts grew off of these (underground). The good news is, we don't have any peanut pests up here!!

Cheers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here