Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seedling in an unheated greenhouse

Posted by glazed 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 12:47

I have built a small 8 x 8 unheated greenhouse and was wanting to put some of my seedlings inside. I am going to be growing all the basic veggies and flowers but I have also started some celeriac and jicama and I am wondering when to put them in the greenhouse. I was thinking that the onions, broccoli, napa cabbage, pansies could go inside the greenhouse now, also when can I put the marigolds, peppers etc out? I have never used a greenhouse before so needless to say I am very excited but don't want to get to eager an mess it all up. Any info would be helpful and most appreciated. Thank you and sorry if this is not the right place to post this message, I really couldn't find a forum that best described what I was trying to do. One other note, I start all my seedlings in the individual peat pellets that I swear by. Thanks again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seedling in an unheated greenhouse

The greenhouse is unheated so you will have to know at what outside temperature the greenhouse will stay above freezing. On a windy night, the greenhouse will lose heat faster. I have an unheated sunroom attached to the house. I determined I have about a 12-15 degree buffer from the outside temp in the spring.

As to when to put plants in there will depend somewhat on the temperature the greenhouse can maintain at night. While most will tolerate cold temps, the warm season crops, like tomato, won't like it. I would wait on warm season crops until the greenhouse can maintain temperatures above 45 or so at night.

Make sure to be able to vent on a sunny day. Overheating can also damage the plants. Our closed, unused greenhouses at work are already getting into the 90's on sunny days.

Vent on cloudy days if the greenhouse feels very humid, the plant foliage is wet or there is a lot of condensation or dripping.

o

Thank you for the info. So as long as the greenhouse temp stays above 32degrees my cole crops will be fine?

o

If you are in a real hurry, you can add a litttle heat for those crispy nights by making up a string of light bulbs (4 bulbs at 60 watts ea.) One in each corner area will help keep the temps up. Another idea is to purchase a heat cable (used to keep the ice from building up on the roof of the house). Just run it around the inside base of the greenhose and plug it in at night. You may want to consider purchasing a "Max/Min" thermometer which will indicate the low temps you're getting overnight inside the greenhouse. Very useful !! Good Luck.

o

A heating cable..nice idea. Yesterday(Apr.19th) featured an uncommonly strong east wind which toppled my tiny greenhouse. Actually ,other than losing a small favourite pot the damage was minimal although I now know I need a better barrier for those unexpected gales. R squared

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here