Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serafina_gw

grapes in the Northwest

serafina
20 years ago

I have a few very large arbors and was thinking of growing grapes; yeh or ney? I understand they are fairly deer resistant but may be messy. Any feedback on your experiences and favorite varities would be helpful. Oh, do they need a lot of water? Thank you.

Comments (4)

• gardenguerrilla
    20 years ago

I grow grapes in the Northeast. I have two 5yr old Concord vines that grow up and over my pergola and completely shade my patio. I love them. There's something about enjoying a cool drink on my patio under the shade of the vines and hanging clusters of fruit that is wonderfully magical. It looks gorgeous, offers shade and last year I got about 30lbs of fruit. I make juice and fabulous grape jelly in September. What I don't pick can make a little mess on my patio but come the first few frosts, the birds swarm the vines and get the last of the icy grapes.
    I wouldn't recommend growing grapes unless you're prepared to harvest them--you'll just get too much fruit.

I live in grape-growing country and I've gotten some good tips from the local growers like train your grape to one vine only. You should prune off secondary vines and train it to one. You can prune the rambling off shoots rather severely in the fall-this is where I get the makings of wreaths, swags and garlands for holiday decorations.

Apart from the birds, other wildlife likes grapes too so if you live in raccoon country you may have to put nets over them. Deer might be able to reach some low-hanging clusters but it should be fairly out of reach for them.
    All I have are birds that like to hang out in them and a lazy cat that sleeps up in the vines in the heat of a summer day.
    As far as watering goes, we've had 2 summers of drought that didn't really effect my grapes much. What is key for grapes is a wet spring, however. They need the watering then very much. Around here, a dry summer is often said to produce a sweeter grape. With new plants you should always water them in well particularly during their first hot summer.

• birdz_n_beez
    20 years ago

My mom has a concord grape vine under the branches of one of her black walnut trees. It has grown strong for about 30 yrs. that I know of. We live in wine country, and I know many varieties are grown successfully here. Try doing a search for Finger Lakes Wine Trail. That should lead you to many wineries, and some of the grapes that they grow. I hope that I have helped you. =)

• sunnybunny
    19 years ago

Hello, Not sure if this link is still going, but I am thinking of planting grapes on an arbor in a west exposure to have shade over a patio. I am a person who loves gardening etc...but I read in Fine Gardening not to plant over a patio because of the mess due to the grapes. My best place for grapes AND patio is in the same spot. How messy is messy? I would not care if it meant just hosing things down, or letting the birds get the extra grapes. Please give me your thoughts. I live in the NW.

• MAD4U
    19 years ago

I live in the northwest,Victoria,BC . Iam now harvesting my grapes,have red,seedless and green seedless. I have them growing over the pergola,mainly for shada as that is also the patio. They have been there for going on three years and I feel they are producing very well. Being as I grew them mainly for shade I think they will get larger in size as time goes on, This year they are very sweet and yummy.Just give them to the neighbors and friends. They do look kinda cool,and I don't find them too messy,but it is strange how the racoons know just when they are ripe!!!