Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eatsivy

productive fruit trees for cold climate

eatsivy
13 years ago

Hi all, I've been doing some research on hardy fruit trees.

I've narrowed my ideas down to a few varieties of apples, pears, and cherries I'm considering. I'm in zone four in the rocky mountains of Idaho.

It is my understanding that while some fruit trees may survive and grow in very cold winter conditions, they still may bear fruit sporadically due to cold snaps in the spring (killing the flower/fruiting buds when the tree is setting fruit). I'm here to ask if people in very cold climates have had good luck with any particular fruit trees. Perhaps some varieties of fruit trees flower later and thus are less susceptible to frosts in the spring.

I'm thinking that perhaps my best bet is to try and grow a sour pie cherry tree like a Bali, or Montmorecy.

Also considering these pear varieties - Ure, Summer, and Nova.

Apples on my short list include:

Freedom, Red Baron, Norland, Carrol, and Keepsake.

Does anyone out there have success growing productive fruit trees (trees that bear fruit most seasons) in zone 4 (or even zone 3)?

Thanks, would love to hear about how others are doing growing fruit trees in these cold regions.

ps - i've posted this same inquiry on several other garden web forums (like Rocky Mountain gardening)

Comments (5)