Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetpea20

Bush green beans

sweetpea20
16 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Sitting at the computer on a totally freezing winter night, going over some of the past posts, trying to keep my mind off the cold and snow out there..."only" 18 days left in February, yeah! I haven't been out of the house since the beginning of January, I think I am coming down with cabin fever!

I used to grow bush green beans every year, until two years ago. That year, although I made several plantings in succession, every time a bean popped through the soil by the next day it was ... gone! I did not think that cutworms liked green beans - I always protect my tomatoes etc., with collars but never had a previous problem with the beans. As I am fairly ancient and really can't undertake to keep planting beans over and over with no success, I just gave up. However, I am wondering if anybody out there might have some ideas as to what might have eaten the plants. Some of the stalks were left behind but in many instances, the whole little plant was gone completely. I would love to try again as I am very fond of green beans and miss the summer treat of fresh ones straight from the garden. I have very sandy soil, but no major critter problems here (near Georgian Bay, Parry Sound area), no bunnies, an occasional deer and bear. I do, however, have squirrels and neighbourhood cats. Also, come to think of it, a lot of birds. Would a bird take a bean seedling? Or are we talking cutworms do you think? (I did root around in the soil near the plants, where they usually lurk, but couldn't find any of the little horrors).

Does anyone have any ideas on this at all? Thanks for your input....

Comments (4)

Sponsored