Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What cutting annual flower to grow?

Posted by prairiemaid z3 MB Canada (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 05 at 19:18

I want to grow an annual flower that is good for cutting and also blooms in July or August for zone 3. I can start seedlings indoors. They would be transplanted to the garden end of May.
Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What cutting annual flower to grow?

Zinnias Benary's Giant Blue Point Series
Rudbeckias
Sunflowers

o

Perhaps the best cut flower I have ever met (and I have met a lot) is clary sage, or more specifically Salvia horminum. It's an annual which reseeds itself, and bears coloured bracts of deep pink, blue-violet or white with deeper colour striations. Plants will last at least one week in a vase (two weeks not unusual) and are easy to start, will grow almost anywhere. They perform beautifully in full sun and moist soil, but I have also grown them in varying degrees of shade and sunny, xeric conditions with excellent results. They usually begin flowering in June and will continue into about the third frost. Best flowering time is probably July-Sept. They are come and cut again plants.
Seeds available from Ontario Seed Company and William Dam.
Also consider larkspur. It's much easier to direct sow, but needs an early sowing to prosper (usually with the peas.) I have sometimes sown the seed on melting snow with good results.
Peak bloom is June through August. The more you cut, the better they bloom. They will go to seed if not picked or deadheaded.
Hope this helps.

o

Thanks for the ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here