Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coir in sqare foot gardening

Posted by rita_from_mb (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 20:49

The perfect growing medium according to Mel for square foot gardening is 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 coarse vermiculite, and 1/3 compost. Has anyone ever used Coir instead of the peat moss? It is more environmentally friendly and compacted squares are easier to buy and put into the trunk.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coir in sqare foot gardening

I too want the answer to this. I also want to add that since PVC is toxic and environmentally so reprehensible that it has been banned outright in certain European nations, instead of using PVC pipe for the supports for row covers on the boxes as Mel suggests, I found that PEX (crossed polyethylene) pipe does the same job, and is cheap and readily available at Home Depot, and much much less damaging to the world, in its production and endcycle.

So, coir instead of peat, and PEX instead of PVC.
Nuff said.

o

Hi Rita - I haven't tried coir, but I just tweeted Mel about this, and he actually tweeted back! (Okay, maybe it was someone helping him!) Anyway, he referred me to his blog where he points out peat is different than peat MOSS - and peat moss IS environmentally friendly! Here's the link to his blog page:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mel's blog on peat

o

I have used coir in container gardening and completely believe in it now. I would recommend not using as much vermiculite and adding perlite. coir holds moister but not too much water .... if you get that.

o

don't know what coir is

o

It is by-product of coconut shells. Recycled coconut fiber. I believe they take the shells once a company is done with what they need for the insides, like shredded coconut for example, and shred it and put it in compressed bricks. You rehydrate it and it fluffs up nicely. Definitely have to mix it with compost or potting soil. This is my second year using it and I like it.

o

• Posted by signet z6 S.W. Ont (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 12:47

I have used coir for a number of years here. I added it to the gardens to help with heavy clay and I grow all my dayliliy seedlings in it I dont get No fungus growth on the top of the soil nor fungus gnats nor damp off with coir either Rooting cuttings is easy peasy with coir. . Love love love the stuff !

Signet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here