Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis from seed

Posted by GreenThumbsGalore z5 OH (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 11, 05 at 21:33

Although I'm a landscaper and a Master Gardener, I've never started Clematis from seed before. I was fortunate this summer to have gotten permission to harvest seeds from several of my client's Clematis but I don't have a clue as to how to grow them. Any suggestions or pointers? Does it matter what cultivars they are from? Something tells me it would have been easier to take stem cuttings instead of the seeds. HIndsight can be such a pain...

Becki
zone 5

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis from seed

Clematis alpina, campaniflora, flammula, heracleifolia, integrifolia, macropetala, paniculata, potaninii, tangutica, and terniflora , Sow at 20C (68F), if no germination in 3-4 wks, move to -4 to +4C (24-39F) for 2-4 wks

Clematis columbiana, Sow outdoors late fall for 91% germ. in May/June. Indoor sowing in light at 20C (70F) should result in 50% germ. over the period of 2 to 10 weeks.

Clematis fremontii , Sow outdoors immediately after seeds ripen in midsummer. Germination begins in late fall.

Clematis occidentalis, Sow at 4C (39F) for 8 wks, move to 19C (65F) oscillating with cooler temps. at night.

Clematis mandschurica, recta, vitalba, and viticella , Sow at 18-22C (64-71F) for 2-4 wks, move to -4 to +4C (24-39F) for 4-6 wks, move to 5-12C (41-53F) for germination

Clematis virginiana , Sow at 20C (68F), germination slow

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom Clothier

o

Sharon, i bought Clematis ligusticifolia from Gardens North. Their instructions say "Sow and place at warm and high humidity. Germination should start in 2-8 weeks and continue, in a staggered fashion, over many weeks more."

o

I'm not disagreeing with anyone for a couple of reasons:
1) I'm very new to growing from seed
2) I think I've just been very lucky.

I'm just telling you my experience so far:

On Dec. 22, I planted nine c. mandschurica (3 in each of 3 peat pellets). I now have three seedlings, one in each peat pellet. I left them on my kitchen counter for about 2 weeks until I put them in my indoor greenhouse under lights. They are sprouting on their own, with no stratification, albeit erratically.

So far, so good.

Shauna

o

Keep note that seed instructions or methods are not written in stone....it only goes to show that there is no 'right' way, and it's worth trying several to try and find the one that will persuade your particular seeds to germinate.

I say its beginners luck Shauna! ((Just kidding))Congratulations!

Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here