Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_n_ontario

Need A Garden Buddy in Northern Ontario... March

Debbie_N_Ontario
17 years ago

Hi

My fingers are starting to get a bit eager to start playing in the dirt again.

I have placed my seed order, not growing too much this year, yeah yeah, I say that every year.....LOL

I did some geranium and impatien cuttings yesterday so those are started. Now I just have to buy some peatmoss and vermiculite so I'll have it when the seeds come in.

My amaryllis should be blooming in another week if we keep getting these beautiful sunny days. I will have to go downstairs and get another bag of them out of the fruit cellar so that I will have something blooming every week for a while.

I went out for a walk today and couldn't believe that the sidewalks are showing! That is amazing, even grass in places. That doesn't happen until late April!

Hope everyone is well and getting ready for spring,,,,,,,cause it's

coming!

Marcia, what are plant plugs?

Take care

Debbie :-)

Comments (7)

• Geo_in_NW_Ontario
    17 years ago

Hi all:
    We're into a deep freeze again in NWO albeit under sunny skies. Its the wind factor that is making it soooooo miserable.

We haven't done much in sowing etc. but will later.

My class has been operating a worm bin since late fall. We feed it weekly w/ compost leavings from lunches. Shredded newspaper is also added to the bin for bedding, spray to keep everything moist. Annnnnd the worms keep eating it all! Very interesting fun project! We had some problems with fruit flies but have managed to keep them at bay reasonably with vinegar traps. Our school has some border gardens so we will add our mixture in the spring. A great experience for the kids and easy to perform at home too.

WE took a large rubbermaid container, drilled holes through out including lid. We added soil and worms. Extra bedding is newspaper(shredded) and we feed weekly. Spray as necessary to keep moist. The container sits on a boot tray in case there is extra moisture. Could be a home project too! Doesn't create a lot of soil, but after 4 months it is getting quite heavy and harder to move about. I'm thinking at least 10 litres of wonderful compost.

Try it! Its a better solution for compost, costs little to start up, and will produce for years.

Geo

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Where did you get the worms, Geo? Someone here gave a demonstration on worm bins and she had to get special worms from some woman in Winnipeg. I'm glad you're doing this - the kids really learn something. We did regular composting with our kids a couple of years ago and got nothing but complaints from the teachers because the buckets with the fruit scraps in them stunk a bit. Sheesh. So we didn't do that again.

Debbie, plugs are like tiny seedlings. You know in a nursery when they seed into inch square (or less) compartments? Each little seedling that comes out of there is a plug. If you google "plant plugs", you'll come up with quite a few sites.

My cold has come and gone and come back again, viciously. I sure haven't been feeling that well. But i guess it will end sooner or later and i should be okay for March Break. I've done a couple of dozen containers of winter sowing and some indoor sowing as well. And there are sprouts in most of the indoor ones - petunias, impatiens, lisianthus, vinca, nierembergia, datura. I'll be doing more this coming week, indoors and out.

Last year the little grandguy planted daisies for his mom and bachelor buttons for himself. I asked what he wanted to plant for his mom this year and he said "Roses." Okay! I don't have any seeds for roses, and i'm not about to buy a $20 rose for an ex-daughter-in-law, so we'll have to see about that one! LOL I need to get some bachelor button seeds because i forgot to save some last summer - maybe i can find some roses! Maybe i should see if there are any hips left on my wild rose bush and he can plant those. What a guy! :)

Not much else going on. I'm waiting for spring and it's taking its sweet old time. We had some decent weather but are in the deep freeze again for a couple of days. Supposed to be better for next week. After that it can only improve. I hope.

Talk to you later!
    Marcia

• Geo_in_NW_Ontario
    17 years ago

Hi Marcia:
    The worms came from the community, someone local who does worms on a bigger scale.
    Geo

• Debbie_N_Ontario
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Geo,,I've had worm bins for years. For about 15 years I guess. I bought mine online, from the Worm factory I think it was called. The worms do better at making compost than my bins outside do too. It's also easier to get the kitchen scrape in the basement than trying to trudge thru snow out into the back yard. LOL

Marcia, the worms are called red wigglers.

I didn't know that they sold plant plugs like that. I don't know how they would ship them to places where it is so cold in the winter without the plants freezes. It has been in the -30's again here for the past week. Sorry to hear u got your cold back again, I thought u had given it to hubs to get rid of it. *G*

Your grand guy wants to plant roses? Gee, he does dream big doesn't he? LOL Isn't there a plant called rose moss? I can't remember what it looks like, but I think it has flowers on it, maybe he could grow that instead.

I am still waiting for my petunia seeds I ordered, they should be here pretty soon.

I have one amaryllis blooming now and another one will be blooming in another day or two. I brought up another bag of them on the weekend so I have about 7 of them upstairs now and about 4 more bags left downstairs waiting to come up. I just hope they aren't blooming down there.

Well take care and stay warm.

• Crafty Gardener
    17 years ago

It has been absolutely ages since I stopped by to say hello. I'm waiting patiently for spring and warmer weather to arrive. We have just have several days of frigid weather but in the next few days the temperatures are to be on the plus side of 0 celsius.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• melissa_mumof4
    17 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm new here and have been reading your posts for some time. I'm located between Sturgeon and North Bay. Wanted to add my comment on the salad containers. I've been using these forever and they work amazing. I have pepper plants that are almost 8" tall, cant wait to get them outside. I have also started pansies, aslyum, snapdragons and four o'clocks in this way, and they all do great!!!
    Question for the northern gardeners.....My hubby bought me two peony crowns, the ones in the clear hanging bags, not potted ones. They are already sprouting...now should I pot them up or just put them in the dark in the bags until I can plant them out???
    Thanks everyone..

• Debbie_N_Ontario
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Crafty.... How have u been keeping? So great to hear from you again! Did u get many birds at your feeders this winter?

Hi Melissa.... Nice to meet you. *S*

About the peony roots, if it were me, I would pot them up and stick them under flourescent lights. I have a grow stand so that would work for my situation. I don't know how they would do it u put them in the dark once they have started sprouting, they might die? Or if u have a south window sill put the pot there and just turn it every couple of days. Sorry, I'm not much more help.

Marcia, did u plant some seeds with the little grandguy?

I have started a April thread.
    Take care everyone.