Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weed ID & erradication

Posted by freeflyt 3B-4A (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 5, 05 at 7:16

Hi all,

Just thinking ahead to this years gardening season....
Before I go ahead and start ordering veggie seeds I need to know how to get rid of a very tough and highly spreadible weed.
I believe it is "buttercup", altho' not a 100% sure.
So if anyone knows on online sites with pics' of weeds it would be helpfull.

It started in a ditch at the back of our property where it is usually damp. But has been spreading greatly even into drier areas.
My veggie garden space was right next to the ditch where this weed started. Now that space is completely covered in this weed. Other flower beds in other parts of the yard have a few of these weeds. Maybe from moving soil which had the weed in it.

Trying to dig the weed out by hand is vitually impossible.
It is extremely tough to dig out. A bit of root left and it will start growing from that.
I am thinking of using some kind of weed killer for it at least in the veggie garden area.
I am leary however of doing this, as I don't like using toxic products especially in a place where I hope to be growing veggies. But I don't know what else to do?
But if using a toxic product and then letting the area stay fallow for a year is the only way, then I will do it.
The weed must go!!

thanks for any ideas on this problem,
Joan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weed ID & erradication

Roundup, you can read all about it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roundup

o

Sounds somewhat like Potentilla anserina or silverweed (though we called it buttercups, too)...although you may have a lot of different plants there, compared to here.

o

If its really creeping buttercup,RUN!!

Seriously, I've dug a large section of it out by hand before, it just takes a few years and regular policing to get rid of it completely, but it can be done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here