Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rabbit damage

Posted by woody64 4b-5a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 7:45

I have a couple of pear trees that the rabbits have eaten some of the bark of the trunk and was wondering if theres anything I can put on the trunk to help save the tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rabbit damage

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 8:34

I get rabbit damage on my roses and purple sandcherry each year. I try to remember to put a cage around them each fall. I just prune off all the chewed parts. If the rabbits completely girdled the trunk, the plant cannot be saved. This year they chewed one of my Explorer roses but it was above the graft. I'm going to prune off the chewed parts, put a small 'cage' around the base and hope for the best. Needless to say I forgot to put a cage around them in the fall. There's a row with 4 bushes and I'll have to figure something out for this fall. I was also thinking of planting some russian sage nearby and hoping the rabbits would stay away, wishful thinking? Marg

o

I've had success this year (so far, anyway...) by sticking in a barrier of Buckthorn branches around Magnolia and corkscrew hazels that in previous years the rabbits would do a lot of damage to.

Can you believe it - buckthorn is good for something in a cultivated setting???

o

I use the white plastic tubes around my trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here