Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marishka_gw

Flowering Maple (Abutilon)

marishka
20 years ago

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for Flowering Maple seeds to germinate? I had some seeds given to me, and I don't know much about them, so if anybody can give me some idea,I would greatly appreciate it.I planted them in pots on February 13th, and still no sprouts.

Thanks

Comments (16)

• nanatina
    20 years ago

I planted these seeds indoors on Feb 12th. One sprout so far that showed up about 2 days ago. So I guess it takes a bit of time!! Tina

• marishka
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks Tina, I guess I'm a little impatient, I was wondering because these seeds weren't fresh, and I thought maybe they weren't going to germinate. I'll just wait , thanks again.
    Marishka

• sandur
    20 years ago

Hi, I had a Flowering Maple that I had bought a couple years ago and had as a house plant. It flowered two years in a row and two months ago it passed away. I saved some seed pods? when it flowered and both myself and my gardening hero (My Father-in-Law) both tried to grow from seeds. I even tried to pollenate the flowers off of each myself with a q-tip to no avail. If anyone has grown from a seed off a flowering plant please post as I still have some seed pods?? left.
    Please all raise a shovel to our fallen comrade- my Flowering Maple - May 2000 - January 2004 - Compost to Compost, Dirt to Dirt, Once a beautiful plant and now part of the Earth.

Thank You,
    Sandur

• mad_mudder
    20 years ago

I have been told that the flowering maple is hard to start from seed. Gave a plant to a friend, she saved the seed pods and this year was able to get 2 going from 12 seeds. They were slow to start. I took about 10 cuttings from my plant. They are all doing well and many have found homes with friends. have patience and see what happens. good luck.

• Caroline_two
    20 years ago

Can you overwinter a flowering maple or can it only be done inside. I am in zone three.

• Crazy_Gardener
    20 years ago

Flowering Maples are not hardy, but makes a great houseplant. Mine faces west and is blooming like crazy right now.

The key to starting them by seed is to have fresh seed. If the seed is a year old, try the baggie method to get them going.

Here's to Sandur's plant ;)
    Sharon

• nevrest
    20 years ago

Mad Muddeer
    what colour are your flowering maples?
    I have two colours and would be happy to trade some cuttings
    Dorothy
    wildcraft@sasktel.net

• chervil2
    20 years ago

I do not think the seed is difficult to germinate. I planted a few seeds from Pinetree Seeds in Maine and ended up with half a dozen plants of a cheery orange flowered Abutilon. I kept one as a houseplant and it is now two years old. Perhaps the key to seed germination is the seed harvest technique. I do not know how Pinetree Seeds prepares their Abutilon seed.

• spartangardener
    20 years ago

I bought a package of seeds this spring and started them in a flat with a plastic lid and that is in a collapsible greenhouse on the southside of my house. It gets toasty warm there, but drops down into the 40's at night. Every single one has germinated -we'll see if they keep growing.

• calla3
    19 years ago

I have a flowering Maple which is blooming like crazy right now,however I discovered that the Plants leaves keep turning yellow.
    What am I doing wrong?

• Crazy_Gardener
    19 years ago

Check for bugs first Calla, if that's not the problem feed with 20-20-20.

• gordonf
    19 years ago

I have 2 plants; one has apricot coloured petals with brick-red sepals and they hang down like bells. The other is lemon-yellow and the flowers open completely. That one had one seed pod last fall and I planted the seeds in late January. So far there's only one seedling and it's growing very slowly. I'm hoping it might be a natural hybrid of the two plants.

• LauraBC
    19 years ago

Mine wasn't from seed but only about 3 inches tall when I got it, now it is about 2 feet tall and about 8 inches wide, it looks totally anorexic! I did pinch the tips back just after Christmas but it is still growing straight up and not bushing out at all. Other than that it is very healthy...... so do I just cut about 1/3 off and see if it will bush out????

• dormantroots
    16 years ago

I got a lot seeds an sum cutting of two different abutilon plants. One I have has dark purplish black flowers. And the other one has leaves that are all spotted. I think its called variegated. haha. both my plants have different shape leaves, now if I pollinated them together would the seeds grow that variegated disease?>

• fengshui05
    15 years ago

Marishka
    seeds of Abutilon are often damaged by fungis so the germination rate is sometimes very low if the seeds are not surface sterilized before sowing them.

I have read that in an ebook about abutilon and tried it. It worked fine for me.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21