Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ahead of the game

Posted by clairdo2 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 08 at 11:05

I took a few cuttings from my ivy plant. will save me a few bucks. Evry year I buy ivies but not this year.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ahead of the game

That's a good idea. In past years, I overwintered plants from outdoors by taking cuttings and growing them in a small pot, even a large drink cup, for winter (coleus, sweet potato vine, impatien) and then making a few cuttings in spring after they put on new growth.

Another method for some plants is to dig up the entire plant, pot it, trim it back if you have too, and keep indoors for winter. This has worked for geraniums and something I have called copper plant.

Actually, regarding my copper plant, it was from 'proven winners' and after I bought it I researched on the 'net and discovered it's actually an evergreen tropical shrub in it's native habitat. So, it seemed a shame to use it as an annual and toss it after one season. I transplanted to a single pot and have it growing in my living room for winter. It will go back outside in spring. I also have a huge banana plant (musa ensete) in the kitchen window that's aching for a transplant and to get back outdoors.

Glen

o
RE: ahead of the game

Is that also a nasturtium to the right? I grown as many as I can outside, but haven't grown them inside!

I have an aloe plant that I need to divide-- it's seriously crowded.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here