Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast growing Fence?

Posted by meinpg z3 central BC (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 11, 05 at 11:41

Does anyone have any ideas as to what to plant to get some privacy in my back yard that is fast growing, although the season in Prince George is short? Zone 3

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks Diane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fast growing Fence?

do you want an evergreen conifer or deciduous? Any limitation on height or width? Is the area close to a house foundation where you might have to be concerned about root problems?

o

Lilacs grow very fast and make a retty good hedge.

o

• Posted by meinpg z3 central BC (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 14, 05 at 11:53

Thanks some good suggestions.

o

take a look at willows.........some are very fast growing, and there are varieties which are extremely hardy in your zone or even further north.

o

I believe the Siberian PeaShrub (Caragana) is fast growing, it is hardy to zone 2, and has small yellow blossoms. (Not the Siberian Pea Tree, Caragana arborescens 'Walker'...that is the peashrub grafted onto a standard for a small weeping tree).

Spring Hill says the Privet Hedge is quick and for zones 3-8. It is Ligustrum amurense, glossy foliage all summer and white flowers late spring to early summer. If I remember correctly the flowers have a soft nice fragrance.

They also list the Purple Leaf Plum hedge (Prunus x cistena) as zones 2-8, but don't say how fast it is. But it isn't one of the super slow ones like an evergreen would be.

o

• Posted by elcask 2b/3 Saskatoon (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 13, 05 at 23:27

meinpg

I think perhaps what you are looking for is a woodwordia cedar. This cedar gets six to eight feet wide and same high. It has a beautiful colour and shape, hardy and well worth it.

Carole

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here