Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Potatoes?

Posted by meadowmuffins (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 08 at 14:30

I'm looking to grow sweet potatoes. Is it possible in mid-western Ontario?
And where in the world do I find seeds or starters??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Potatoes?

They are mostly grown in southern states, long summers but hey if you want to give a shot more power to you. Just let us know if you succeed.

Step 1:
Put a sweet potato on a bed of sand and cover it completely with moist sand. Keep it moist and at room temperature for four to six weeks until sprouts are about six inches tall and have a few leaves.

Step 2:
Remove the new shoots and their roots by gently twisting them off the potato. These pieces are known as "slips." Wait three or four days before planting the slips as little root hairs will develop, and they will help to ensure survival.

Step 3:
Make a mound of soil about twelve inches high and twelve inches wide. Plant the slips in the mound four inches deep and twelve inches apart.

Step 4:
Keep a young plant moist by watering regularly, especially if you have fast draining sandy soil. Once they are established, sweet potatoes won't require as much moisture.

Step 5:
Weed carefully until plants are well established so you don't disturb the delicate roots. Once the plant reaches the stage where the vines cover the ground, they will help shade out weeds, eliminating a lot of the maintenance.

Step 6:
Remove the vines about a week prior to harvesting the potatoes. This will help the skin "set" as it is very thin and susceptible to bruising. Dig the potatoes up with a spading fork and store until ready to use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o
RE: Sweet Potatoes?

• Posted by marric Z5b Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 15:52

Meadowmuffins: There is a gentleman in Kingston who grows sweet potatoes. He has a page at: homecogeco.ca/~allen/catalogue.html. If this link doesn't work, try googling 'Ken Allen,Kingston'. I did and click on the first listing that comes up. Maybe you can email him and get some advice. Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here