Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sandy and bedrock

Posted by skoot Ontario East (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 5, 06 at 16:28

I have a big dilema on my hands and was wondering if anyone could help out. I live in a zone 5 in the Kingston area of Ontario and I have started to do some landscaping at our cottage home last summer. I planted some bulbs, ground covers, hostas, roses etc. Being new to the whole gardening thing I discovered they were not growing because our whole back yard is on bedrock and our soil is mostly sand!!! I really want a beautiful flower garden but Im not sure what the easiest thing to do is in my situation. We have a lot of top soil that I can mix with what is already there. The area gets a lot of sun through the whole day at least 6 hrs per day, so could any one suggest some flowers, shrubs and climbers that are flowering that might be good for this area. And what do I need to do to get more nutritious soil so they will grow.. Thank you so much for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sandy and bedrock

• Posted by msjean Z6..NS...Canada (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 15:05

Compost ..compost and more compost !!!
Make some and buy some and work on building your soil. Gather leaves in the fall and what other organics you can find and work them onto your soil. Sometimes I spread leaves on my lawn and mow them into small pieces and they work into the soil and enrich the grass.

I also have a deal with one of the local Tim Horton's to save me some of their coffee grinds and I use that in my beds and compost.
You can always begin in your garden with lasagna beds and just keep on making lasagna beds and working on your soil at the same time. You can google lasagna beds and get tons of info there.
With your new rich soil and all that sun...you should be able to grow lots of plants..roses..etc.
Hope this is the info you were looking for :)

o

thank you msjean, I will be trying that this summer!!!

o

Lasagna gardening could be the key. Try the lasagna gardening forum:

Here is a link that might be useful: lasagna gardening

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here