Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mourningdove_gw

When to plant seeds indoors

mourningdove
11 years ago

I bought a 4 tier indoor greenhouse last week and started receiving some seeds I had ordered. I don't want to be too anxious to start them. Does anyone have any pointers that would help? Thanks

Comments (8)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

What seeds are you going to try growing?

tj

• mourningdove
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for responding. I have 3 different colored brugmansia, 3 or 4 diff. datura, butterfly weed, foxglove, lavender lady, Korean bee tree, kiss me over the garden gate(never heard of this one before), meadow sweet, and a few others.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Hmmm, zone 4. I'd start the foxglove and datura now. You may have time for some of the others. When is your last frost date?

tj

• mourningdove
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi there, I checked online and the map zone says May 17th. Hopefully I can start planting them in the next few days.

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

Look at the seed packages. They tell you how many weeks until the time to plant outside. Start your seed so it is past the frost free time for your area. You can find the frost free time for your area on line

• mourningdove
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I never thought of that! duh? I ordered them from Mississippi and most of them do tell me how long they take to germinate. Thank you folks for all your help.

• ianna
    11 years ago

In Ontario, you start in March - by May things are warm enough to put into the garden. Brugs though are not hardy in our zones and need to be brought in for winter. So for this reason you can start them earlier so you get a nice size plant by summer. I do not know if they will flower this season. For certain foxgloves won't flower until the following year since they are considered biennials. Lavenders, butterfly weed, meadowsweet, you can begin now. In my yard, they actually grow wild from self sown seeds. next winter, try your hands at wintersowing for these hardy seeds. There's an entire forum on the subject.

Out of curiosity, can you tell me which seed supplier did you get your seeds from and did you pay extra for the physto--something certificate?

Ianna

• mourningdove
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi lanna, I ordered my seeds online from seedman@seedman.com . I bought $45.60 worth of seeds and paid $10.95 for shipping and packaging(no tax) Unfortunately, I don't know what "physto certificate is, but that was what I paid. They sure have some very interesting seeds to sell. The sad part is they are located in Mississippi so I had to check the proper zones after I received them. I've grown brugs for several years and just can't resist trying different types. Feel free to email anytime. Thanks again. darlene

Sponsored