Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lavender and og's

Posted by trac2 zone3 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 22:44

Hi ,first time I've posted,so hello to all fellow northeners.Recent move from B.C. to Manitoba, and have a couple of questions if someone kindly has the time to respond.Was wondering if there are several types of lavender that would overwinter here as well any og's that wouldn't need too much special attention and would comeback every season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lavender and og's

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 15, 08 at 8:30

Hidcote and Munstead are said to be the hardiest of the lavenders (zone 3). Calamagrostis Karl Foerster is a beautiful ornamental grass that is hardy and non-invasive.

o

Thanks Pudge for the reply I will heed your advice.

o

Hello! I am in Ottawa where we have about 4 FEET of snow on the ground but onions & leeks growing under our basement lights. I agree about the lavender varieties - Hidcote or Munstead. In terms of grass, I grow the very tall Miscanthus sinensis - the plumes bloom late summer and make a really nice accent in the winter garden. Although my patch has grown a bit bigger over the years, it is not invasive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here