Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eyerin

Gardening Newbie and Tomato Seeds Zone 2b

Eyerin
12 years ago

Hi all. This is my first post and I enjoy this site very much. I have some heirloom tomato seeds I prepared and saved last year (Cherokee Purple) as well as some other packaged heirloom tomato seeds. I purchased a WalMart variety Jiffy 'Greenhouse' and started the seeds in the peat pellets around March 20, 2012. I quickly read the instructions and maybe it didn't sink into my head(:() that the plastic lid should be removed when they started germinating. It remained on for about 10 days, well after they started germinating.It was a very moist, dark environment.

They've had lot of heat, but hardly any light, until I removed the lid today and the plants are leggy, delicate sprouts about 3"-4" long (too long?), almost resembling fast growing bean sprouts. They mostly all have 2 leaves and are laying sideways over the pellets (not upright or strong looking at this point).I've set the tray in the best light I have at this point.

My question is: Should I start over with another 2nd batch of my remaining seeds? I fear this bunch should have had the dripping lid removed earlier! They look pretty sad at this point.

Also in this cold climate of Southern Manitoba, how beneficial is a cold frame? My husband can build one easily.

Since I am new at this, I'm not sure how normal these seedlings should be looking or if they'll be ok.

I appreciate any advice for what I hope to be a fairly successful year in growing some great tasting tomatoes!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting