Mon, Apr 18, 05 at 7:17

Can I plant the following plant now?
Carnation - in ground, Shade plants from seeds - in ground
Gold Dust - in container
Jackie verbascum in ground
Sopranno osteospermum in containers
Lavender in ground
Pansey in container and ground

Thanks, it will be in the low 30's 2 nights this week, other evenings in the 50's.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting in zone 4

• Posted by JanetR Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 12:25

Perennials that have been hardened off properly can be planted now. If they've been mollycoddled indoors then they won't take it very well and you will have to start exposing them gradually to outdoor conditions. The osteospermum you will have to wait on; they are native to South Africa and are not going to appreciate frost at all. Mind you, if you don't mind hauling the containers in on a regular basis, you could go for it, again, providing they have been hardened off.

o

Thanks for the help. I am putting the flowers out only during the day and bringing them in at night. I haven't put any in the ground yet. It will be in the low 30's later this week at night so I had thought better to wait.

o

• Posted by JanetR Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 23:27

If they've been staying out all day, you could start leaving them out on warmer nights, IMHO. Mind you, I am terribly impatient when it comes to hardening things off, and on occasion, it has cost me. Anyway, better to wait a bit too long than to jump the gun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here