Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryan2900

Lily of the Valley

ryan2900
18 years ago

I am a new gardener. Last May, my wife and I purchased a home with a mature garden. We had a beutiful bed of Lily of the Valley. Not knowing any better we pulled off the dead leaves over the course of the summer. After winter there is now nothing there at all. Did we kill it or has it just not come up again yet? As you can tell I'm quite the novice. What is proper care of it? If I did destroy when is a good time to replant with replacement?

Comments (6)

• northspruce
    18 years ago

If you just pulled off dead leaves and little bulby-things (their roots) didn't come out with them, I don't see why it would have killed them. Did you pull all the leaves off last summer, or is there a mat of old dead leaves where they were? If there is such a mat, chances are the new growth hasn't broken through yet. You could gently stir it up a little and see. If there is just bare ground, they might still be a little slow in coming up. They look like little green rolled up pointy tubes when they arrive.

If there are no LotVs left there (and I would be surprised), you can replant anytime in the spring or fall. I would give it a little time though. And you have have a very gentle poke around and see if there's anything green in there. Good luck with your new garden!

p.s. they do like moist soil, so if (and only if) it is very dry right now, you might give them a little watering but don't flood them.

• ryan2900
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, I think I was a bit over eager. Something seems to be coming out.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Good to hear!

• anitamo
    18 years ago

It's very hard to kill them.

• tenor_peggy
    18 years ago

They are lovely, but if you didn't kill them (and I doubt you did) keep an eye on them. My sister in Wisconsin has Lily of the Valley but it is taking over one area of her garden and moving out into her lawn! It can be rather invasive.

• zucchini
    18 years ago

I have tons of Lily of the Valley..they were here before we bought our property. I too think it would be hard to kill them. I often dig them up as they are very profilic and get crowded. They are not easy to dig up, the roots go deep and are very strong. I know I am in zone 5a..and they will be up later in the season..Maybe your part of NJ is cooler too, but usally you guys are way ahead of us up here..martha/zucchini

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor