Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daliah_gw

Best Ground Covers

Daliah
20 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Could you give me some ideas for some ground cover? Could be small bushes, shrubs, or plants? Ones that grow quickly and look nice... I have creeping sedum already.

Thanks

Daliah

Comments (11)

• mytime
    20 years ago

Is this an area you want to cover permanently or temporarily? If it's permanent, I like ajuga or false lamium--they're thick enough to keep weeds out. But if there are other plants in the same bed, both may be too thick for ease of keeping them in bounds. I love sedum, but always get a weed problem with it.

• sheryl_ontario
    20 years ago

Creeping phlox is beautiful in bloom. There are a lot of others, but they tend to get agressive and take over.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    20 years ago

Rock Cress is really nice and blooms in several colours.
    Perennial geraniums are also beautiful. Some grow like mounds, others are more straggly, but look nice - as though they climb into the Black Eyed Susan to bloom along with them.
    If you are looking for plants to cascade as well, Creeping Baby's Breath and Basket of Gold Alyssum.
    Lamb's Ear is also nice.
    Trying Pink Pussytoes for the first time this year. Made it through the winter really well, and I'm anticipating those pink blooms! Really compact to the ground, but spreads well with small silver green leaves.
    Another ground cover I like is Lipstick Fragaria (hot pink flowers)and Fragaria Variagata (leaf is white and green)- both summer blooming strawberry plants. The fruit doesn't really amount to anything, but don't tell the squirrel that! LOL!
    Creeping phlox is also a favourite.
    Nicole.

• articfire
    20 years ago

I love groundcovers and have several in my gardens. Try Sandwort beautiful white flower, creeping soapwort is a beautiful ground cover with pink flowers, candytuft is also a nice ground cover with big white blooms, creeping baby's breath, wooley thyme, arabis, creeping phlox(one of my favorites) or creeping veronica.
    Hope these give you some ideas
    Michelle

• jroot
    20 years ago

My wife's cousin gave me some lamium 2 years ago. I'm sure she hates me. Now I have lamium growing all over the place, in the cedar bush, and sneaking up the stairs. I thought poison ivy was aggressive. This stuff spreads worse than winca. In fact, it almost choked out the winca. Good thing its attractive, what with its brilliant yellow flowers. So far, it has stayed away from the trillium and daffodils. Of course, it is easy to pull up as well. I'm just pointing out an aggressive shade ground cover.

• bonsai_audge
    20 years ago

Blanket flowers are some really tough, sun-loving flowers that spread. They can get quite tall (60 cm) or there are shorter varieties (30 cm).

Lily-of-the-vally could be considered a groundcover. However, some (if not most, I'm not quite sure) parts are poisonous, so it's not good if you have dogs or little children who frequent your garden.

Groundcover roses are neat, they offer lots of blooms and are quite low-maintenance (but do have thorns... I think. Not sure).

Wave petunias are annuals that grow quite quickly and have plenty of trumpet-flower blooms. They are quite popular and I don't think that they're overly expensive.

Impatiens (another annual) can cover quite a bit of surface area in a year before it dies. They come in many colours, are quite tough but need consistent watering.

Pansies are insanely invasive, but if you need something that can cover a large area (somewhat quickly) they're quite suitable. They have bright (semi)large flowers and are quite a cheerful sight to see.

Ornamental grasses can be used as groundcovers, some tolerate super-dry conditions and others tolerate wetter soils.

Irises can form quite large clumps or drifts and miniature varieties could be used as groudcovers.

Hens-and-chicks will go well with your sedums, they are quite neat and will spread. I'm not quite sure how fast, but they are neat!

Creeping thyme is quite aromatic and quite tough (you can step on it once in a while if you wish) and it usually is covered in purple flowers in spring.

That's a few that I can think of right now... I hope that helps! :D

-Audric

• clairdo2
    19 years ago

is there a ground cover that will take tracking?

• Julie
    19 years ago

What kind of area are you trying to cover? Full sun, full shade or something in-between?
    Vinca minor is very nice for it's leathery shiney evergreen leaves and trumpet lavender flowers, but it won't grow under pines, nor will it take over the lawn.
    There are many lamiums to choose from for part sun to shade. Beacon silver adds a light silver color to shadey areas without spreading fast or far. Areum adds a chartreuse color to go with the golden hostas, and if you can't decide between the two, Ann Greenway(?) is a mix of green, silver and chartreuse with a scalloped edge! All of those have a pink flower to them. Hermans Pride lamium has a nice mounding habit with an interesting silver pattern to the leaf. It has a yellow flower, but it is not invasive like the Arch Angel yellow flowering lamium (oh it is as pretty as it is vigorous though).
    Don't forget moss! Irish or native! It feels great on bare feet in the summer!
    Sedum sarmentosum "Yellow Moss" is very tiny and stunning, It is great for full sun/dry areas where not much else will grow as well as more hospitable areas.
    I have seen the dwarf dianthus used as ground cover also.
    Crown vetch is great for no maitnance hills you don't want to mow.
    Lobelia that is usulally placed in hanging pots looks great as a ground cover, but you have to buy alot, or start alot very early!
    The carpet roses are quite thorney!! But bloom
    profusly and still thrive when neglected!
    Moss roses cover alot of sunny ground in a short while and re seed themselves.
    So many lovelies to choose from!
    With so many suggestions offered, it will be hard to decide what you may want.
    I am curious to know what you may choose.... maybe you could let us know?

Julie

• Laurie_z3_MB
    19 years ago

Michelle mentioned wooley thyme. I was wondering what colour are the blooms and do they last very long? I've been searching for a low groundcover for a sunny area, but I don't want something that flowers, or if it does, not for very long. Or maybe I could just run the lawn mower over it when it blooms :)
    Laurie

• enjayare
    18 years ago

JRoot - I know you wrote this last year...but... yellow flowers sound like lamiastrum (archangel) second cousin to lamium (dead nettle) - Lamiums are less aggressive. The archangel is supposed to be hightly aggressive.

• shemonchotmailcom
    16 years ago

Hello, can somebody advice me on the best ground cover/soil saver for a waters edge property with bulkheading that would resist frequent saltwater spray and at the same time add something to a landscaping design?

Thank you

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting