Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ivy

Posted by ryan2900 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 7, 06 at 10:32

I have some beutiful english ivy in various parts of my property. There is one small section of it in a bed on the side of my house that I'd like to remove. Currently there are no shrubs there and I'd like to plant some to improve drainage and the view. Removing the ivy has been an endless chore and although musch is gone it is still impossible to get a shovel through. Does anyone have suggestion? I'd prefer something orgainic if possible since we have dogs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ivy

You could try smothering it, either with layers of newpaper, or with landscaping fabric. Weight it down at the corners, engage you patience. I am not sure how long it might take - maybe a couple of months??

Good Luck.

o
RE: ivy

• Posted by vrie 3/4 MT (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 15, 06 at 23:38

Bless you and I wish you luck. I had ivy in Nevada. I will list what didn't work. These attempts were after the first surgery of sawing down the 8-10 ft vines in a 1ft by 5 ft (fortunately well bordered) strip

Three weekly drenching of Total Vegetation killer followed by:
Layers of rock on top of newspaper
Black fabric- both newspapers and fabric were considered LUNCH!
Soaking the leaves in motor oil (we were getting a bit frustrated at this point-- i mean buckets of oil with STALKS sitting in them for a week!)
Digging was mixed in at many times, when we were fortunat enough to see the ground

Eventually we sold the house and moved to a place with seasons so I'm afraid that I never did find a good way to kill it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here