Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Northern PA flower question

Posted by Flutterbyblue2 z5/NorthPA (donnasujkowski@gmail.com) on
Mon, Apr 4, 05 at 10:42

Hi all, (I just posted this in the PA forum but I thought hey there are more experts around lets see if they can help!!)
I was wondering if anyone is from the Milford / Dingmans Ferry area to help with a garden question...I am a new member to this board in search of some experienced North PA gardening.
I get alot of mixed answers that scare me a bit about gardening here.I have moved from Vernon NJ (z6) which is only 25 min away from where I presently live now and had wonderful gardens with minor losses almost every year which I expected... some Tea roses ....and some perrenials
but most of which I planted like the Flora's and Grand Flora's
wintered well.
Has anyone had success with Roses close to my area? We just built our dream cottage and within a month will have a 8ft deer fence installed around the property (which is a must) the deer are rampant, ...nothing scares or bothers them, but we will deal with that. I am looking to fill my gardens with cottage flowers and we are planning a rose bed. I have purchased bare roots from Chamblees and J&P many are David Austins and a few Floras. Can you tell me if I just threw my $$$$ away or will they survive if properly cared for??? Please any help would be appreciated. On another note my heart and prayers go out to anyone has suffered from the recent rains God Bless!!!!
Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Northern PA flower question

I'm in 5 but Northern PA gets some major snow compared to us.
I'd say some insulation will be needed on the rose canes to help them survive. Otherwise you might end up with the plant dieing to the ground every year. That happens to about half my roses. They live but are small because they dies back.
Have you tried the Roses forum. Those guys are super smart.

Happy gardening
Abby

o

Thanks Abbey, yes they are incredibly smart I guess thats why they told me to forget about roses but Its to late I have already done the dirty deed of buying tons. I guess we shall see what happens.
Thanks Donna

o

Prove 'em wrong
This winter make cages for them if you can. Get tomato cages at the end of the season (cheap yay) and stuff them full of leaves around the plant. Don't do this until the plant is really dormant, maybe late November. You may not be able to save them all but the ones you really like.

You can try calling the Master Gardener Assoc in your area. They will know what breeds will do best and ways to help other breeds. Master Gardeners usually have a certain day they take Q's. Call your county Extension office, they'll know.

Man, I can't walk away from a challenge....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here