Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcurry1223

Betty/Jane Magnolia

dcurry1223
11 years ago

My house faces south and I really would like a Magnolia in my front entrance gardens as a focal point. The only place in my front bed that can be expanded to accommodate a magnolia's width is if I expand out my bed on the left side of my porch (to extend outwards towards the road). I was told that the Magnolia are best suited for northern or eastern exposure when along a house- to avoid early bloom and die off from frost. If I place in my front beds, this would be southern exposure..I was looking at the Jane or Betty Magnolia (hybrids) which I believe would have enough room to grow. I heard the Jane blooms late and is hard, also is a slow grower (can be pruned like a tree). Does anyone have any experience with these Magnolias, have it facing south, or as a focal point in a front bed, along house? I know they need to be protected also from wind exposure. I planned to keep it 8-10' from the house in the middle of the bed extension, allowing additional room in front. Any ideas also for under planting- create shade? Will this tree have nice foliage until fall when all when the leaves drop? Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz