Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcurry1223

Betty/Jane Magnolia

dcurry1223
12 years ago

My house faces south and I really would like a Magnolia in my front entrance gardens as a focal point. The only place in my front bed that can be expanded to accommodate a magnolia's width is if I expand out my bed on the left side of my porch (to extend outwards towards the road). I was told that the Magnolia are best suited for northern or eastern exposure when along a house- to avoid early bloom and die off from frost. If I place in my front beds, this would be southern exposure..I was looking at the Jane or Betty Magnolia (hybrids) which I believe would have enough room to grow. I heard the Jane blooms late and is hard, also is a slow grower (can be pruned like a tree). Does anyone have any experience with these Magnolias, have it facing south, or as a focal point in a front bed, along house? I know they need to be protected also from wind exposure. I planned to keep it 8-10' from the house in the middle of the bed extension, allowing additional room in front. Any ideas also for under planting- create shade? Will this tree have nice foliage until fall when all when the leaves drop? Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• splitrock
    11 years ago

We planted four Jane early this spring. The two that get morning sun suffered badly during a late freeze. I have moved the worst one to a more sheltered location. I suggest you avoid early morning sun.

• dcurry1223
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi All_ Thanks so much for the input. It sounds like the Magnolia does well in the northwest side and that some of the warnings are accurate. I may rethink the location, put it in the backyard and put something else in there.

• kplant
    9 years ago

I bought 4 Jane Magnolia's last year at Lowes, Roswell GA area, and they started blooming last week. WOW, what a beautiful show they are putting on. Lots of buds, so I think I'll have flowers for the next couple of weeks. I'm now looking for Betty Magnolia, which is much more a rich purple/violet color. I saw one in Wayside online catalog, they refer to it as Genie (blackish- red blooms) and it has a Patent Pending#20,748, but it is 3 quart for $74. I'm looking for this plant locally, so if you've seen it during your travels, please advise.....

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

kplant, Genie and Betty magnolias are two different plants.

• newwave5596
    8 years ago

I bought a Jane years ago. First year, very few flowers. Ever since, more each year. A great tree.
    I just bought three Magnolias (a Jane, a Betty and an Elizabeth) from Gossler Farms Nursery. They arrived looking beautiful. I can see that Betty and Jane bloomed this year. Betty and Jane were $30 ea. Elizabeth was $60.

• knotgardener
    5 years ago

I had 2 Jane Magnolias at my previous home ...theY were on the southside & grew up to my second story & bloomed early & again later. My Betty is smaller, & blooms early & later. It's June & it's blooming again!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting