Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New- and questions already!

Posted by fumanchu none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 12:50

Hi -I've just joined. I'm at 1000ft on open moors in Scotland. When I follow normal UK gardening advice - which is mainly for south east England -then I lose all my plants.. so thought I'd come in here where people might understand my weather better. :)
I'm looking for some fast growing climbers to cover a fence. I know Honeysuckle is ok - but what else might do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New- and questions already!

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 9:38

I like Virginia Creeper. It doesn't flower but has awesome fall color. It can become invasive if you let it. I've never grown it but some people grow Bittersweet.

o

Ok thankyou - and is that fully hardy, yes? Ok with wind?

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 10:49

I have a different variety and it's very wind tolerant and drought tolerant. Mine are planted in an area where they can be left to take over.

o

Yes, these species should be hardy in your area. Keep in mind that your daily minima are quite high for your latitutde; you are really in the equivalent of USDA hardiness zones 6 or 7. Conversely, I'm at or close to your latitude but 'enjoy' a hardiness zone of 2b with yearly temperature minima around -40C.

Low summer temps and less sunshine may be more of a limiting factor for you. In addition to the plants already named here, you could consider hops, which thrive in Yellowknife (well to the north and in USDA hardiness zone 1a/0b).

o

I know there's huge differences in climate - even though I'm on lat 56N and 1000ft up, we have the Gulf Stream etc. But yes, the main prob is lack of warm sunshine. Winters lately have been down to -20C and summer is rarely above 21C. TY for all help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here