Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shrub

Posted by clairdo2 ontario canada (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 13:15

What kind of shrub can I plant that does not get taller then 4 to 5 feet and only gets about 4 hours of sun? An evergreen would be nice or a flowering shrub...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shrub

I'd like to suggest a little leaf lilac. It isn't evergreen, but it blooms a long time. And it smells so nice.

o

Hi sazzy, tried to send you an email but it didn't work. Just want to know what this lilac looks like. Is it very different from regular ones? And does it shoot all over. I've got lawn all around that spot so I don't want something that will sprout all over it.
Thank you

o

With only 4 hours of sun, I don't think that a lilac will perform well. A cedar immediately comes to mind. You'd have to find a dwarf type to keep it under 5 feet though.

Here's a list of shrubs for shady sites from Lois Hole's book:

Boxwood
Coralberry
Cranberry (Dwarf European)
Dogwood
Euonymus 'Gold Prince'
Fir (Dwarf Balsam)
Flowering Raspberry
Hazelnut
Hemlock
Hydrangea
Ninebark 'Tilden Parks'
Rhododendron
Russian cypress
Snowball
Snowberry
Sumac
Yew

Hope this helps.

Laurie

o

Thank you Laurie. I decided on a yew ecause I had to move it anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here