Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone having luck with mesemb?

Posted by drdna 4b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 13:29

I tried Ruschia, Stomatium and Titanopsis last winter outside... They all died. No problem of course with Delosperma. Did anyone tried something else with success?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone having luck with mesemb?

Do you mean that you winter-sowed it? I don't think it's a candidate for that. I start them outside in the spring. The first time i tried them i didn't have much luck, but then i read that they should be started in complete darkness. When i tried that - wham! Almost total germination!

o

Actually no, received them by mesa garden last summer. I wish I could find some succulents that can withstand the wet conditions of fall-winter...

o

These are heat-lovers, but they're very pretty.
Mesenbryanthemum 3
Mesenbryanthemum 2

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 18:54

Marcia: I did w/s them and they are now up. I started them in Mar. They were outside for a month and then we were getting a lot of heavy rain so I moved them into the grenhouse. They had just started to come up then but have grown a bit since it's warmer in there. The greenhouse is not heated. I've been wondering tho if maybe it would have been better to sow them directly. They look rather fragile. Marg

o

I've always spring-sown them because i felt they were too tender for winter-sowing. But you're a couple zones warmer, so you would have a different schedule than i have for them. I think you probably could sow them directly, though i don't know how you do the darkness thing then. :)

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 11:33

Do you think covering the planted area with a board might provide the darkness needed? Then you would need to check for germination each day and when you see it, remove the board, like with parsnips. Marg

o

That could work, i'm sure. They actually transplant quite well. I just dug clumps out of my containers and planted them in the trough they're in (hollowed out cedar log).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here