Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting seeds in coldframe now?

Posted by tinkerten 4b/5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 05 at 13:35

I'm desperate to get a jump on spring, and was thinking of starting seeds in a coldframe. Flower seeds, some perenials, some annuals. Is it too early yet? We're looking at some coldish nights this week, just about freezing, but no actual freezing yet.

Daytime temps are expected between 49 and 68 for the next week. Night time temps between 34 and 46. What temps will the frame be needed to be on?

I was thinking of making the coldframe out of pvc tubing for the frame and clear plastic from a farm supply store (like the kind you would use for a paint drop sheet). Anything else cheap that might be used to insulate on a really cold night?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting seeds in coldframe now?

Your idea should do until the last frost is past.
Go for it!
My zone is a bit warmer and I'm desperate also.
MUST PLANT SOMETHING
As for something cheaper, from what I've seen PVC and plastic is one of the cheapest ways to make a cold frame.
it's reusable and portable. Check out pvcplans.com for ideas on a shape.
Hope that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here