Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbie_gardener_3

tried and true favourites?

newbie_gardener_3
19 years ago

Good Day!

This is my first ever attempt at a garden..so lets see how it goes!

I live in between North Bay and Sudbury (ONT) which i believe is a zone 3a? I am having loads of fun starting all kinds of seeds (flowers and veggies). But, I dont have enough seeds (or window space to start anymore seeds) to fill up my gardens (I have one in the front and one in the back of the house). Can anyone in this area recommend any good plants to put in my garden that are a good match for this area? Since I'l be buying the rest of my flowers as already started plants from Canadian Tire or a similar garden center, and I am a university student, the less expensive, the better :P I am a little concerned of buying a bunch of plants and them all dying on me.

So if anybody has any 'tried and true' favourites for this area, I'd love to hear them!! And I've had a blast reading all the older posts! Nice to meet everyone!

Andie

Comments (8)

• Pudge 2b
    19 years ago

I'll just mention that there are a lot of annual plants that could be started from seed, direct sown in the garden. Certainly cheaper that buying bedding out plants. Sunflowers, Bachelor Buttons, Sweet Peas, Poppies as well as many others all can be seeded direct into the garden.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    19 years ago

Andie, there's still time for winter sowing. Check out the forum (link below), read the FAQs, get yourself some containers, and you'll be ready to go! Cheaper than buying plants - but of course, you'll be doing that too because, like most of us, you won't be able to resist!

Pansies are always great for early colour - you'll have to buy them because it's too late to start them from seed - and they take cooler temperatures, too. Petunias and geraniums are great for brightening things up as well. If there's a Walmart near you, they have little geraniums for 79 cents right now - cheap enough to stock up on them now!

Welcome to the world of gardening! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

• aspringer
    19 years ago

I definitely second going to the Winter-sowing Forum, and also the Seed Exchange Forum. Exchangers often have seeds left over that they will send you for a self-addressed stamped envelope. I garden in zone 4 and some of my favorites that are easy are: Rudbeckia Goldsturm (black-eyed susan), daylilies, hosta, daffodils, lilacs, deutzia, ajuga, dianthus, campanula, bleeding hearts, euonymous, perennial geraniums, balloonflower, sedum, cerastosum, purple coneflower, obedient plant. Then there are the annuals. I get the seeds practically for free from traders (there is plant trading too - I have gotten lots of nice plants that way!) My favorite annuals and biennials that are easy to grow from seed are: edging lobelia, johnny jump-ups, foxglove, rose campion, marigolds, nasturtiums, calendula, cosmos, snapdragons, petunias. I also have an herb garden.

• newbie_gardener_3
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the help! I don't think I had even heard of winter sowing before this! (just to prove how novice I am...lol)
    I'll be heading into town this week, so I'll be sure to check out the WalMart!

• claubill
    19 years ago

Andie, I live in Sudbury. I have tons of marigolds if you're interested. They're extremely easy to grow. Send me an email with your address.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    19 years ago

Claubill, your marigolds were my first WS sprouts! Just thought you'd like to know!

• luv2gro
    19 years ago

Mine, too, Claubill! They're doing great.

Shauna

• northspruce
    19 years ago

I agree that seeds are the way to go if your budget is tight. My favourite cheapies are delphiniums; they are reliable, you can start them from seed (or buy them potted for much more money), and they are BIG! Great fillers that are good & cold resistant. Make sure you leave them some room. A clump of a few plants will get to 2'x2'x4+feet high pretty quick. Self seeders are great too, as some people have said batchelor buttons, marigolds, etc. Love-in-a-mist is really nice too. I just break up some seed pods in the fall when I'm cleaning up and chuck them around - they show up again every spring.

Sponsored