Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarbot

How to care for bulbs in Anchorage?

sarbot
18 years ago

Hi. Happy Easter, everyone! I'm new to Alaska, to gardening, and to this forum, which means the learning curve is pretty steep, and I've got tons of questions. (I'm also in a new house, with an 8-month-old -- my first! It's been an eventful year...)

I'll stick to one question for this post. I just received some bulbs (packages simply say dahlias, gladioli, lilies, and irises -- nothing more specific) as a housewarming gift. I'm thrilled about them, but somewhat wary. They came from a big-box store, so I wonder how hardy they are (the gift-givers aren't gardeners). My other questions are:

- Do I need to pot them indoors first?

- Will they bloom more than once (another housewarming guest voiced some doubts)?

- Will they need to winter indoors?

If they are more trouble than they're worth, I'm thinking of exchanging them for something hardier and lower-maintenance.

Thanks for any tips! And please let me know if I should be posting to the Far North forum... As far as I can tell, we're in Zone 4(a?).

Sarah

Comments (3)

• bizzylizzy
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I can only speak for the lilies. I have grown some gift lilies (the ones they sell in pots in grocery stores at easter), I simply put mine in a large outdoorsy pot (mine was a decorative wooden box) didn't remember the soil (I think it was the peaty/soiless mix from any store). The very next year these presumedly forced bulbs flowered well. I'm in central Ontario (I think z. 3). They didn't require a lot of water or fuss, I think they flowered early summer, and I cleaned the dead leaves onced unburied in spring. Very easy tough plants, they seem to thrive in sun. I have read about irises and only remember that they like lots of water and I think a bit of shade. If yours are gifts then I would think it's worth it to try them. I think you can search for how to sow and grow the others in Google, or perhaps a GW bulbs forum might have some FAQ's. Most bulbs are planted late fall to flower in the next summer.

• knlwhite
    17 years ago

I'm from Juneau, so the weather in Anchorage is a bit different, however, the dahlias and glads are planted after the last expected frost (Mother's Day in Juneau). Lilies too, depending on the type. Trumpet, calla, daylilies are planted in spring, oriental in fall. Iris can be planted in spring as well. Oriental lilies and iris can generally be left in the ground, the dahlias, glads and other lilies must be lifted and stored in peat in a cool place like your garage and started the next spring. Or, treat like an annual and enjoy for one summer. Have fun learning and experimenting!

• mytime
    17 years ago

You'll have far more responses if you post in the Far North forum, where most of us from southcentral AK check in more often. Probably a little late to help you....have you done anything with your bulbs? Dahlias and glads need to be started now if you haven't already. I have mine potted to set out shortly. It's been so chilly until the past couple of days...I would probably go ahead and put mine in the ground today if I wasn't so busy. Put the lilies and irises in the ground now. They're already coming up and are hardy.
    The dahlias and glads will need to be dug up before winter and stored inside. The lilies (assuming we're talking about asiatic--probably the most likely to be found)and irises should be left in the ground over winter. There's nothing hardier and lower maintenance than asiatic lilies and irises for us. Have fun, and be sure to post on the other site. You'll meet many more gardeners from our area. Welcome to Alaska!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services