Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
climbing vines?

Posted by garden_duck Ontario Canada (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 16:26

Hello. I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm looking for some kind of climbing plant to plant on an arbour that's in my back yard in my flower garden. I'm not sure if I'm looking for something that has flowers or not. I suppose I would prefer flowers. Not sure what our zone is in Sudbury Ontario Canada, but I do believe it could be zone 3-4. I'm wanting something that hopefully I don't have to cut down in the fall, meaning as low maintenance as possible and not something that would take over the garden or the neighbours back yard. This spot does get full sunlight all afternoon, so it is an ideal spot for a garden of any kind. I just don't know what kind of plant to place there that wouldn't give me much work or trouble. I do have climbing roses in the back of the yard by the fence, and they are taking forever to grow. I'm not that great with roses to begin with. I just want it to look luscious and pretty with not much fuss. Not sure if that is at all possible lol... Thanks, Lori :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: climbing vines?

Try golden hops. Grow fast, hardy and need no real care. For a quick fix try wild cucumbers. They seed out every year. Grow very fast but easy to just pull out the seedling in the spring when you no longer want them.Of course there are always clematis with Jackmanii being the hardiest. These shud all grow where you live.I grew up north of Sudbury ( Kap ) area and all these did well there.

o

Clematis might be just the thing. Here is a good summary on clematis that do well in northern climates:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Clematis for Z3

o

Thanks a bunch... Clematis might be just the plant that I'm looking for. I will look into Golden Hop as well. Nice to hear that someone out there knows where Sudbury is lol... I'm not far from Capreol... live in Hanmer actually. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here