Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID: Shrub with red leaves

Posted by rockandroller NB (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 16:29

We have dozens of these growing in a patch of the back yard. They all seem to have kept their leaves over the winter, and look to have tiny little growing tips now. Leaves are mostly red now, about 2 inches long...

We're wondering WHAT THEY ARE, and if we should prune these or just leave them alone??

Here is a link that might be useful: a pic...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID: Shrub with red leaves

It appears to possibly be some kind of azalea. Does the NB mean "New Brunswick"? I think there are some wild Rhododendron (Azalea) species that would grow that far north.

o

I also think it could be a rhododendron. They grow in my area very well and yes they keep their leaves on during the winter,There are many varieties that you can buy that are suited to here. lois

o

Yes, NB is New Brunswick.
Thanks for the tips, I've done some Googling and these do indeed appear to be rhodos - maybe the native Canadense variety, I'm not sure.

Leaves are pretty beat up after the winter, do you think we should prune these plants??

o
more pics

http://rockandroller.net/Photo2049-800.jpg

http://rockandroller.net/Photo2052-800.jpg

http://rockandroller.net/Photo2064-800.jpg

o

Well, I tried to do some more research on this, and now I'm not sure. It seems that none of the native East Coast rhodies/azaleas are evergreen. But, maybe it's like some seedling peach trees I had last winter that actually kept green, live foliage near the ground all winter because it was so mild.

Anyway, whatever they are, I wouldn't prune them now, except to remove broken/dead branches. I would just let them go, maybe throw a little fertilizer on them, and see what they do.

Finally, from your three new photos, I'm not quite sure if the third one is the same thing, or something else entirely. Photo #3 looks almost like Wintergreen to me. But, it could just be what the original plant in question looks like without being so "toasted" by the winter, since the third one looks like its really low to the ground and may have been more sheltered.

Anyway, when they grow, if anything interesting pops out, especially if they bloom, please update the post so we can see what it looks like and maybe help pin this down further. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here