Return to the Northern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlias and Glads

Posted by daisiensam z4 ont (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 05 at 18:38

When can I plant my dahlia and gladiola bulbs? I live in Northeastern Ontario. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlias and Glads

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 22, 05 at 19:42

Do not plant outside until after the frost danger is over. Here in southern Ontario, that is late May / early June.

However, you can pot up your dahlias now. I have about 60 dahlia all poted up, and they have sprouted well.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Some are even ready for stem cuttings.

My glads are still asleep in the cold cellar, although I fear it is not as cold as I want it. I plant those out near the end of May, and pray for no frost.

o

Eek! Do you drag all those in and out every day??? Wow! I only have one dahlia and i really should pot it up - i don't know why i keep putting it off. As for glads, i usually start them in large peat pots, but i can't find any big ones this year. Going to town to look again tomorrow.

o

In "nice weather" years, I have planted glad bulbs approximately May 1st. Just be prepared to cover them, once they come up, should frost threaten.

Wow, talk about mass dahlia production. I have 3 of them that I started early in shrub pots as well. They pretty well go outside during the day, inside or covered at night.

o

jroot,
please explain the newspaper as i've potted mine in just pot & dirt.
Thanks Wendeyzee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here