Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerf_gw

Improved Blaze, Don Juan or Dublin Bay

summerf
19 years ago

I want to plant a red climbing rose this spring and am trying to decide which would be the best of the three roses. I would prefer the one which is most resistent to black spot. Can anyone help? Summerf

Comments (9)

• marricgardens
    19 years ago

Hi. I'm also in Z5. I planted Don Juan several years ago and have found that it doesnt do too well. In 3 years, it is still only 2'. It suffers a lot of winter kill each year and last year it did get black spot. I'm thinking of replacing it with an Explorer rose, probably 'William Baffin'. It is supposed to be resistant to black spot and powdery mildew. Hope this helps. Marg

• waridi
    19 years ago

Hi, Am also in Zone 4-5a Canada and a newbie rosarian. I was eagerly looking to try Don Juan or Lincoln Cli against a warm south wall. Am disappointed HT-like climbers will not succeed without fussing over them. Anyone know about DublinBay or Dortmund? Howabout older roses like Louise Odier would they survive Eastern Ontario freez-ups. I have heard taht Austins are perhaps better survivors, any experience with them anyone? Thanks for help.

• MAD4U
    19 years ago

I have several Blaze roses and they are the easiestroses to maintain, they do not get black spot and they bloom all summer. I have started new ones by propagation and are so easy to start,all of mine are climbers. I live in Victoria so all roses grow beautifully here but these are the best. All the roses are in bud and some are popping out even though the weather has not been that warm,I believe they like cool temperatures. Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: garden web

• Lori_Z4
    18 years ago

MAD4U,
    What zone is that? I want to try Blaze, but not sure if it would survive in zone 4.

• MAD4U
    18 years ago

I live in Victoria B.C ..zone 8. Blaze grows unbelievably here and so easy to maintain,I have it growing over a arbor and only give it lots of water,it is coming in to bloom now and will bloom until fall,you can cut it back any time and it doesn't mind,really don't know about zone 4 though,we do have the odd winter when it will freeze but not that deep,also get the odd snow fall Just give it a try,keep it wrapped around the root s and it should survive. Good luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: garden web

• Jan_in_WV_OH_6a
    18 years ago

I had a red blaze that looked practically dried up when my Mom purchased it on sale at Wal-mart in late spring and gave to me. I planted it with some good amended soil and gave it just some reasonable care.

By summers end, it had climbed the deck railing and bloomed as if it were the healthiest rose in the nursery and wintered West Virginia highland winter without so much as additional mulching. It had no bug or disease problems and was beautiful.

My Mom had one for years that got very little care after my Dad passed away and it just kept growing and producing. Great rose.

• Vicente
    18 years ago

I am in zone 5b. For three years now I have unsuccessfully overwintered three climbing rose. I always have dieback/winter kill. Does anyone have a successful technique for winter protection. Many thanks!

• littletwin
    18 years ago

I have two William Baffin that are literally 12'-14' tall and 10' wide. I will post a photo this Summer. They have no diseases and are LOADED with pink flowers in June. It is by far the centerpiece of my garden and consumes my large arbor every year. It is hardy to zone 3 but I wouldn't have a garden without it no matter where I lived. Wish I still had a photo of it on this computer but I don't.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH